Trainers, there are some mega changes coming soon to Pokémon GO!
Since the initial release of the Mega Evolution feature, players have agreed that the way Niantic has implemented this feature has felt lacklustre and more of a grind rather than anything.
To combat this, there is a brand new update coming soon which will change the way Mega Evolutions work. This update will reward players with a brand new feature called Mega Levels which grants the trainer with additional bonuses.
There are plenty of other changes which will be coming with this update.
We will now have the ability to be able to Mega Evolve your Pokémon during the raid battle prep screen, Mega Raid difficulty has been decreased so that more players may benefit from this feature and one of the best changes being that after you Mega Evolve a Pokémon, you will no longer have to use Mega Candy on that same Pokémon to Mega Evolve it again.
From the Official Announcement
We’re very excited to announce that an update to Mega Evolution in Pokémon GO is now live in Australia and New Zealand and will be available globally soon.
Mega Evolution is an Evolution that transcends all others. Mega Evolution temporarily changes a Pokémon’s appearance and increases its strength. In Pokémon GO, Trainers use Mega Energy to Mega Evolve their Pokémon.
But with the latest Pokémon GO update, Mega Evolution will now be easier and more rewarding than ever before!
Dev Diaries: Mega Evolution and Mega Raid Updates
For April’s Dev Diary, we’re excited to share a look into the changes we’re making to Mega Evolution and Mega Raids in Pokémon GO.
From this video, we get an exclusive sneak peek into what this new update will entail. Along with a few quality of life updates such as having the ability to be able to Mega Evolve your Pokémon from the raid screen, we can also see the perks of increasing your Mega Level and more.
– Most Mega Raids will be easier. You can now take them on with fewer people!
– You’ll be able to Mega Evolve your Pokémon from raid and battle prep screens.
– Pokémon you have Mega Evolved before will now have an additional visual effect added to their information page to commemorate this momentous achievement.
– We’re implementing Mega Levels and changing how Mega Energy is used.
MEGA MASTERY: Introducing Mega Levels
Being a Pokémon Trainer is all about helping your Pokémon grow, and we’re introducing a new way for you to do just that—Mega Levels! Every time you Mega Evolve a Pokémon, you work toward increasing its Mega Level. You’ll get more bonuses every time a Pokémon’s Mega Level goes up, and these bonuses will stay active while your Pokémon is Mega Evolved.
Each Mega Level grants various bonuses. Bonuses vary by Pokémon, and all bonuses will improve as a Pokémon’s Mega Level increases.
Mega Levels are a great way of being able to unlock more rewards for you and your Mega Evolved Pokémon. Trainers will soon be able to enjoy a Candy XL bonus when you catch Pokémon that are the same typing as your Mega Evolved Pokémon. This will be a nice opportunity to be able to max out more of your favourite mons.
– Increased Candy when you catch Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
– While attacking with a Mega-Evolved Pokémon in a Raid Battle or a Gym battle, the attacks of other Trainers’ Pokémon challenging that same raid or Gym will deal more damage. Their Pokémon’s attacks will deal even more damage if the attack is the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
– Increased chance of earning Candy XL when you catch Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
– Increased XP for catching Pokémon that are the same type as your Mega-Evolved Pokémon.
– A Pokémon’s rest period decreases as its Mega Level increases.
MORE MEGA MOMENTS: A one-time cost to Mega Evolve
– With this update, after you Mega Evolve a Pokémon for the first time, you’ll be able to Mega Evolve that same Pokémon again without using Mega Energy!
– After Mega Evolving, your Pokémon will be fatigued and need time before it can Mega Evolve again. Once this rest period is over, that Pokémon can Mega Evolve again without using Mega Energy.
– You can use Mega Energy to decrease a Pokémon’s rest period. The Mega Energy required to Mega Evolve a Pokémon will decrease as the Pokémon’s rest period becomes shorter.
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated.
Mega Evolutions are looking to be a polished feature that will surely persuade trainers into getting back into this aspect of the game. With Mega Evolutions not needing any Mega Candy to reactivate, you can expect to see a lot more trainers using these insanely powerful Pokémon in raids more often.
Are you satisfied with these changes? Personally, I am looking forward to showing off my shiny Mega Evolved Pokémon more often which not only makes me happy but also benefits anyone I am raiding with because of the damage boost that having a Mega Evolved Pokémon has in a raid.
Stay safe and happy hunting, trainers!