Research Tasks are tied to a particular PokeStop on a daily basis. PokeStops give out the same field research task per day to all players and you can’t complete the exact same quest twice. Resets at 00:00 local time, not UTC.
About Field Research encounters and their mechanics
If your Research reward is a Field Research encounter, be aware you will be catching a Level 15 Pokemon with same minimum IV values as Raid Bosses / Egg hatches (10/10/10).
- Field Research encounters are not boosted by weather but they can be shiny, if the encountered specie can be shiny – there are reports of shiny Bulbasaurs and Magikarps left and right.
- Pokemon caught via Field Research encounters don’t have a location.
About throws and Research Tasks
- Throws count regardless of the outcome of the encounter. If the Pokemon flees, you still get the benefits
- Great throws count as Nice throws
- Excellent throws count as both Great and Nice throws
About raids and Research Tasks
- Wiping / timing out in a raid counts towards completing a raid for your Field Research. In other words, you can complete Raid quests by losing/timing out multiple times to a boss with only your free Raid Pass.
General Research tasks tips
- You can have duplicate tasks, this is not unusual
- You can delay picking up rewards to get a future day stamp after midnight
- Actions can count towards multiple tasks, this is not unusual
- Battle in a gym is not the same thing as complete a raid
- “Hatches don’t count towards catches” – aka hatching a Pokemon doesn’t count towards your catch quests
- Evolving doesn’t count towards your catch quests
- Catching a higher stage evolution counts towards quests that require a lower stage evolution
Things that don’t do something that you’d expect them to do
- You can’t get a task if your bag is full (weird, we know)
- Gyms don’t give Field Research missions, only PokeStops do
- Completing a Special Research task doesn’t count towards your daily research Stamp
- Field Research Quests List
- Quests Field Research Guide
- Special Research Quests Guide
- Mew Quest Guide: A Mythical Discovery