Charizard is easily one of the most iconic Pokémon in the entire series, although being iconic does not guarantee it being useful. Such is the case with Charizard, that has: a terrible typing, Fire and , that makes it double weak to Rock (196% vs normal 140% Super Effective Damage), lacking attack stats, a below average stamina stat that just ensures it will go down easy, and the looming fear of being power creeped by future generations and the likes of Blaziken getting access to Blast Burn.
Its only claim to fame is, in being a starter Pokémon, it gains access to the recent Community Day exclusive move: Blast Burn. Combine Blast Burn with the best Fire fast move in the game, Fire Spin, and you do have a recipe that makes Charizard relevant, even with its stats dragging it down.
Fire type attackers
The following Table compares the stats of the best fire type attackers in the current metagame, Charizard included. As you can see, it does not possess the best of any stat. That being said, the current list of best Fire types go something like: Moltres, Entei, and then a case by case tie between Flareon, Blaziken, and Charizard.
|Blaziken Fire Fighting||240||141||160||2631|
Its main strengths are:
- Access to the two-bar Blast Burn, which is currently the best Fire charge move in the game, as well as the best Fire type fast move Fire Spin.
- Ground instead of a weakness, a additional resistance to Fighting, and a double resistance to Bug and Grass instead of a single resistance. type is a blessing and a curse for Charizard, with the blessing in this case being a resistance to
Its main weaknesses are:
- As mentioned previously, the Rock type moves, as well as giving it a weakness to Electric attacks. In short, the type invites the likes of Smack Down Tyranitar, Golem, and Raikou to come in and ruin its day. type is a bit of a curse, as it adds a atrocious double weakness to
- Its stat composition is just all around bad. Fire types are not known for high Stamina or Defense but Charizard just takes that to a whole new level. Almost Gengar levels of bad, without the high attack either to make up for the lack of bulk.
- Its usage has only gone up due to the addition of Blast Burn to its movepool, but it is only a matter of time until it gets outclassed by newcomers like Heatran, or existing Pokémon like Blaziken that ought to be slated to get Blast Burn.
Best Charizard Moves in Pokemon GO
Charizard has had a lot of different moves, courtesy of being around for every move rework Niantic has done, so this will be a long chart.
|Fast Move||Charge Move||Cycle DPS (STAB)|
|Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire||24.55|
|Fire Spin Fire||Overheat Fire||24.00|
|Wing Attack Flying||Blast Burn Fire||23.93|
|Air Slash Flying||Blast Burn Fire||23.23|
|Wing Attack Flying||Overheat Fire||23.17|
|Ember Fire||Blast Burn Fire||23.13|
|Air Slash Flying||Overheat Fire||22.50|
|Ember Fire||Overheat Fire||22.29|
|Fire Spin Fire||Fire Blast Fire||22.11|
|Fire Spin Fire||Flamethrower Fire||21.82|
|Wing Attack Flying||Fire Blast Fire||20.98|
|Air Slash Flying||Fire Blast Fire||20.74|
|Wing Attack Flying||Flamethrower Fire||20.67|
|Air Slash Flying||Flamethrower Fire||20.49|
|Ember Fire||Fire Blast Fire||20.28|
|Ember Fire||Flamethrower Fire||20.00|
|Fire Spin Fire||Dragon Claw Dragon||19.78|
|Air Slash Flying||Dragon Claw Dragon||18.63|
|Wing Attack Flying||Dragon Claw Dragon||18.39|
|Ember Fire||Dragon Claw Dragon||17.92|
*Keep in mind that STAB cycle DPS calculations just compare the different movesets and they are not Pokémon-specific
- An important consideration however, is while these are accurate DPS listings, some of these moveset combination are impossible, such as any of the legacy moves with Blast Burn.
- Blast Burn outdoes Overheat in any available category with any available fast move. Which makes sense, as Blast Burn is indeed the best available Fire type charge move.
- As far as being a mixed type attacker, Wing Attack is superior to Air Slash, although not by terribly much. In any case, if you have one, it has some small utility against Grass and Bug types if weather is Windy.
- Ember is a trophy at best, as is Flamethrower with the advent of Blast Burn.
- Dragon Claw is best kept to surprise Dragon type attackers in gyms like Dragonite and Rayquaza, if you have it in a gym for whatever reason.
Best Charizard movesets
|Role||Quick move||Charge move|
|Gym offense||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
|Gym Defense||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire / Dragon Claw Dragon|
|PvP (speculative)||Fire Spin Fire / Wing Attack or Air Slash||Blast Burn Fire / Dragon Claw Dragon|
Supreme Counters (Italics Denote Legacy Movesets)
|Counter||Fast Move||Charge Move|
|Tyranitar Rock Dark||Smack Down Rock||Stone Edge Rock|
|Omastar Rock||Rock Throw Rock||Rock Slide Rock|
|Golem Rock||Rock Throw Rock||Stone Edge Rock|
|Golem Rock Electric||Rock Throw Rock||Stone Edge Rock|
|Kyogre Water||Waterfall Water||Hydro Pump Water|
- Tyranitar is without a doubt the best counter to anything that is weak to a few rocks chucked at them. Combine that fact with Charizard’s dual weakness to Rock type attacks and you have a recipe for disaster for the not-Dragon.
- Omastar with its legacy moveset is a great Rock type attacker, being better than even Golem in some cases, this being one of them due to Omastar’s double resistance to Fire moves. Rock Slide is a better move than Stone Edge, and Omastar’s stats are very similar to Golem, so it is a fine addition to a Charizard raid team.
- Golem, in both normal and Alolan form, is a great counter to Charizard, having decent moves, a 211 attack stat, and being resistant to all moves save for Dragon Claw, with a double resistant to type moves in its Alolan form.
- Kyogre is the first non-rock counter to make the list, being able to beat out other Rock types just because its sheer power and total damage output. The only other high damage dealing counter with less deaths would be the king Tyranitar.
Other Counters (Italics Denote Legacy Movesets)
|Counter||Fast Move||Charge Move|
|Solrock Rock Psychic Lunatone Rock Psychic||Rock Throw Rock||Rock Slide Rock|
|Raikou Electric||Thunder Shock Electric||Wild Charge Electric|
|Regirock Rock||Rock Throw Rock||Stone Edge Rock|
|Rayquaza Dragon||Dragon Tail Dragon||Ancient Power Rock|
|Zapdos Electric||Thunder Shock Electric||Thunderbolt Electric|
|Sudowoodo Rock||Rock Throw Rock||Rock Slide Rock|
|Gyarados Water||Waterfall Water||Hydro Pump Water|
- Solrock and Lunatone are basically the same Pokémon in Go, with the main differences being looks, Lunatone having Moonblast, and Solrock having Solar Beam.That is why these two are together, they perform similarly and are decent Rock counters.
- Raikou takes advantage of that Electric weakness that Charizard has and shows why it is one of the best generalists and electric types in the meta game.
- Yes, Regirock actually does some decent damage, and matches Tyranitar for the least amount of deaths. if you like Regirock here is a chance to let it shine.
- Rayquaza does faint a lot but it can dole out decent enough damage, that is if you kept a Rayquaza with its overall worst charged move: Ancient Power.
- Zapdos used to be on par with Sudowoodo in terms of time, but Thunder Shock for Zapdos day raised its relevance overall, including this battle against Charizard.
- Sudowoodo, besides being the favorite of a certain Go Youtuber, is a semi-decent Rock type attacker. Nowhere near the others, but it can be serviceable in large groups.
- Gyarados acts as a weaker Kyogre, and as such is farther down in the rankings then it used to be. That being said, it is still the best non-legendary Water type in the meta and it proves it by being half decent in this fight.
|Sunny||Boosts its Fire type moves||—|
|Partly Cloudy||—||Boosts double super-effective Rock type moves|
|Rainy||—||Boosts super-effective Water and Electric type moves|
|Windy||Boosts itstype moves||—|
Viability in raids
Charizard does well for a non-legendary in raids where it lands super effective hits. Those raids are few and far between however, limiting it in useability. Here’s a list of Raid Bosses to which it is one of the top counters:
|Raid Boss||Fast move to use||Charge move to use|
|Articuno Ice||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
|Scyther Bug||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
|Regice Ice *||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
|Registeel Steel *||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
|Venusaur GrassPoison *||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
|Victreebel GrassPoison *||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
|Breloom GrassFighting *||Air Slash||Blast Burn Fire|
|Tangela Grass *||Fire Spin Fire||Blast Burn Fire|
*Legacy Raid **Future Raid
Charizard is essentially a lesser Moltres with a slightly better move. It is a shame that Blast Burn had to have different stats than Frenzy Plant, despite being virtually the same in the main series. If it was FP levels of broken this would be a much different tale, however the reality is it lives in Moltres’ shadow in its own dual typing, while also tying with its fellow non-legendary Fire types.
It does do well as a attacker, and with Blast Burn being what it is, it does make for a good gym generalist. However, in that vein it is a absolutely terrible defender that can easily be wiped by almost any Rock type in and out of the meta game. When a Regi can make short work of a Pokémon, that Pokémon should simply not be in that position.