Trainers, the 0.151.0 update is slowly rolling out on Android and iOS. Although this patch is not a major departure from 0.149.0, there’s still a lot happening under the hood that warrants a post. Let’s explore it together!
PSA: The article contains information released by data miners on reddit. This information is not endorsed by Niantic and is subject to last minute changes. Usually, this information is accurate, but please, read it with a grain of salt.
New shadow Pokemon
20 new Shadow Pokemon have been added in this patch. Do note that these are not yet available and only present in the code behind:
Kangaskhan’s introduction is especially interesting, given it’s a Generation 1 regional Pokemon. We’re very keen to see how it’s implemented, especially as it’s one of Giovanni’s signature Pokemon. Actually, this list has a number of Pokemon that are typically used by Giovanni:
Do keep in mind that most of his other Pokemon are already present in the code as Shadow Pokemon (Nidoking and Nidoqueen). All in all, one could assemble a full Giovanni team out of the Shadow Pokemon already present in the code.
New Fall Pokemon
Four new “fall Pokemon” have been added to the code base, likely hinting at new costumes coming this fall:
No new assets have been spotted to support these Pokemon, but we’re guessing these are new hat variants. More seasonal Pokemon hype? Sword and Shield comes out on November 15, 2019, so maybe as a tie-in? We’ll see.
New egg hatching animation
The egg hatching animation has been significantly updated in 0.151.0, now uses a golden stage with very dramatic lightning:
- “Trainer XY sent you a Gift” notification has been redesigned
- Pokemon are much closer in 0.151.0, similar to their distance before 0.149.x
- Team GO Rocket battle lobby now shows HP of your selected Pokemon, making it hard to select Pokemon that are already damaged. You still can’t use potions or revives on this screen, but at least we know which Pokemon you’re picking
- AR pictures can now be taken in horizontal mode!
- Recommended counters now prioritizes Pokemon that take reduced damage from raid boss charge move. Yay for figuring out the charge move ahead of time, but nay for folks who use recommended.
- Various fixes for scaling and rotation issues
- Updates to the “combat matchmaking service”. We’re still waiting for this, especially when you see hints like these:
.isChallenger .isLocal .otherPlayer .MaybeSetupNpcBrain
- A lot of new variables have been added to the quest encounter and general quest code
- A new JumpHeight variable added to the Pokemon encounter screen