Team GO Rocket’s back, and they’re up to some big trouble! In their newest scheme, Team GO Rocket plans to take over Gyms with hordes of Shadow Pokémon. Thankfully, we know our heroic Trainers will step up to face this challenge. Get ready for Shadow Raids!
Shadow Raids are coming to Pokémon GO
Shadow Raids bring Shadow Pokémon to Raids for the first time in Pokémon GO, initially as part of a culmination of a special event in Season 10 – Rising Heroes.
- Starting May 22, 2023 during the Rising Shadows event, a new type of Raids will be appearing in Pokémon GO – Shadow Raids.
- Shadow Raids are lead by Team GO Rocket, who are preparing to take over a number of Gyms around you. Not all Gyms will be affected by Shadow Raids.
- You can only complete Shadow Raids in person, you cannot use Remote Raid passes
- Special three and five star Shadow Raid bosses will be available during the event. These bosses enrage during the fight and become more difficult to defeat.
- Defeat Team GO Rocket members to earn new items - Shadow Shards. Shadow Shards can help you in Shadow Raids, but you need to farm them.
- Shadow Shards can be forged together to create Purified Gems, which will help you defeat enraged Shadow Raid bosses. Using a Purified Gem will weaken the Shadow Raid Boss.
What’s going on?
At the end of Season 10, Team GO Rocket presence will ramp up culminating in many Gyms being seized by Team GO Rocket members, with powerful Shadow Pokémon of all Raid Tiers appearing inside them.
This Gym Takeover will last for a few days to give players the opportunity to raid together in Shadow Raids for the first time. Team GO Rocket will launch their plans during the Rising Shadows event, starting May 22, 2023.
Taking on Shadow Raids works differently to normal raids, so be sure to read on to learn more about Shadow Raids, Shadow Raid Bosses and the new items, Shadow Shards and Purified Gems.
Team GO Rocket’s have hatched their greatest plan yet: taking over Gyms with Shadow Pokémon!
In Shadow Raids, Trainers can take on powerful Shadow Raid Bosses, and have the chance to catch new Pokémon partners, provided you can successfully defeat the raid boss.
At Gyms hosting Shadow Raids, you’ll find that Team GO Rocket has placed especially powerful Shadow Pokémon as Raid Bosses. Three-star and five-star Shadow Raid Bosses will grow enraged as you battle them, boosting their attack and defence. Continue to hold your ground and weaken the Shadow Raid Bosses to subdue them.
Shadow Shards & Purified Gems
You can subdue Shadow Raid Bosses using Purified Gems, a new item that can be assembled from Shadow Shards.
Shadow Shards are mysterious gem pieces that may be dropped by Team GO Rocket. You will need to gather enough shards to use Professor Willow’s newly invented Shard Refiner, and in return you’ll be rewarded with a Purified Gem.
There are multiple ways Purified Gems can assist your battle against enraged Shadow Raid Bosses:
- When you use a Purified Gem during a Shadow Raid, the enraged Shadow Raid Boss’s attack and defence will be lowered temporarily. This can give you the opening you need to take them down.
- You and your fellow Trainers can use more than one Purified Gem during a Shadow Raid. If used at the same time, their effects will stack.
- If enough Purified Gems are used, the enraged Shadow Raid Boss will be subdued—returned to its non-enraged state—which might give you the edge you need to defeat it!
You’ll need to work together with your local community in-person to optimise the best way to take down these new raid bosses, planning the best ways to use your Purified Gems effectively.