Pokémon GO Salamence (Max CP 3532) evolves from a Pokémon GO Bagon and Shelgon. Its one of the strongest Generation III Pokémon to be added in Pokémon GO. Salamence’s best moves are Dragon Tail Dragon and Draco Meteor Dragon
Along with Metagross, Gardevoir and Slaking, Salamence is the top tier addition in Generation III. Salamence is the Gen 3 equivalent of Dragonite, although it’s not as powerful as a Dragon Tail / Outrage Dragonite.
Salamence in the Pokémon GO meta
Salamence is an interesting addition in the Pokémon GO meta, filling a niche we didn’t have something to fill with before: your second best Dragon type. Although powerful, Salamence is a worse performer than Dragonite:
- it can’t learn Outrage
- it has movesets that are simply confusing and almost completely useless — Fire Fang Fire / Hydro Pump Water comes to mind
All in all, it’s a weaker, more flavourful version of Dragonite that needs a TM or two to have a proper moveset.
Salamence best moves and movesets in Pokémon GO
Best moveset: anything with Draco Meteor Dragon
Salamence has access to following moves:
- Dragon Tail Dragon (fast)
- Fire Fang Fire (fast)
- Draco Meteor Dragon (1 bar, charged)
- Hydro Pump Water (1 bar, charged)
- Fire Blast Fire (1 bar, charged)
Salamence is a good Pokémon, but its movesets are arguably garbage. It will successfully land in any high level team, but you will have to use TMs to get a really good Salamence. When you break it down, Salamence has really lost the moveset lottery:
- no charge move = less utility than a Hurricane Dragonite
- Fire Fang is not as good as Dragon Tail, hence it will often be replaced
- Draco Meteor is not as good as Outrage (2 bars, 110 damage), but the other two moves are much worse
- Fire Blast has very little viable matchups
- Hydro Pump on a dragon? Why? Why not Sky Attack or Hurricane?
Go for Draco Meteor (or Fire Blast if you’re on a budget) and use it in the same context like you would use any Dragonite moveset.
Shiny Bagon, Shelgon and Salamence in Pokemon GO
The color of a normal Bagon is light blue with gray armor on it’s head and yellow underbelly. Evolving Pokémon GO Bagon to Shelgon makes him gain full body gray armor. It’s final evolution is Salamence, with blue body, orange wings and gray armor on it’s belly.
A shiny Pokémon Bagon has green body, yellow underbelly and gray armor. Shiny Shelgon changes the color of it’s armor to gray-green. Following the theme, a Shiny Salamence in Pokémon GO has a green coloured body.