After much speculation, we can now confirm that Swablu will feature as the May Community Day Pokémon, and that Mega Altaria will be appearing afterwards!
The featured Pokémon for this May’s Community Day will be Swablu, the Cotton Bird Pokémon!
Date & Time
Saturday, May 15, 2021, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time
- 1/4 Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed in an Incubator during the event period
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours
- Swablu will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
- Evolve Swablu during the event or up to two hours afterward to get an Altaria that knows the attack Moonblast.
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise!
- There will be a special one-time-purchase Community Day Box available for 1,280 PokéCoins, featuring 50 Ultra Balls, five Super Incubators, five Incense, and an Elite Fast TM.
Cotton-Winged Bird Special Research Story Tasks and Rewards
For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Swablu Community Day–exclusive Special Research story, Cotton-Winged Bird.
Cotton-Winged Bird 1/4
- Power up Pokémon 10 times – 15 Poké Ball
- Catch 15 Swablu – Swablu encounter
- Make 10 Nice Throws – 10 Pinap Berry
- Stage Rewards: 2000 Stardust, Swablu, 1 Incense
Cotton-Winged Bird 2/4
- Catch 15 Swablu – 100 Swablu Candy
- Transfer 10 Pokémon – 1000 Stardust
- Use 15 Pinap Berries while catching Pokémon – 15 Great Ball
- Stage Rewards: 1500 XP, Swablu, 1 Incense
Cotton-Winged Bird 3/4
- Make 3 Great Curveball Throws – 100 Swablu Candy
- Evolve 1 Swablu – Egg Incubator
- Transfer 10 Pokémon – 100 Swablu Candy
- Stage Rewards: 2500 XP, Rocket Radar, 15 Ultra Ball
Cotton-Winged Bird 4/4
- Claim Reward – 3x Silver Pinap Berry
- Claim Reward – Swablu encounter
- Claim Reward – 3500 XP
- Stage Rewards: 3000 Stardust, Altaria, 3 Rare Candy
|Normal Sprites||Shiny Sprites|
Mega Altaria Debut
Mega Altaria will be making its Pokémon GO debut in Mega Raids at the conclusion of May Community Day on Saturday, May 15, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. local time. This is your chance to collect Mega Altaria Energy to Mega-Evolve any of the Altaria you’ve collected during the event!
|Max CP at Level 40 3163 | Max CP at Level 50 3576|
|ATK 222||DEF 218||HP 181|
|Weak to||Strong Against|
|Fairy Ice Poison Steel||Dragon Dark Fighting|
For a full analysis of Mega Atlaria check out our analysis here.
For a full indepth PVP analysis please check out our Moonblast Alteria and Mega Alteria Analysis.
Moonblast is a Fairy type Charged Attack. Currently Altaria has access to Dazzling Gleam as a Fairy type Charged Attack, so let’s compare the two.
Both moves have the same amount of power as a PvP move, but with Moonblast costing less energy. Currently PVPoke has Dazzling Gleam listed as their lowest priority for a PvP Charged Attack for Altaria, which might leave you wondering why a different Fairy type move is the Community Day pick. The biggest advantage of Moonblast is that it has a 10% chance to decrease the attack of your opponent by one stage.
With access to Sky Attack and Dragon Pulse that both have access to STAB, Fairy type moves just feel a little lacklustre, but could be a spicy choice if you fancy a more unusual choice your opponent won’t be expecting, especially if it successfully lowers your opponents attack.
Altaria is already a popular beast in Great League PvP, PVPoke have it as their 6th best Pokémon for the whole of Great League, and with the introduction of Candy XL, it has jumped up the rankings in Ultra League as well. It is well worth evolving your PvP eligible Swablu during Community Day to get this Legacy move, as you can always use a regular TM to get rid of it later, but you would need an Elite TM to gain it back!