Let’s talk about the new Evolution Items discovered in v0.53.1!
- Sun Stone which can evolve Gloom into Bellossom,
- Dragon Scale which can evolve Seadra into Kingdra,
- Kings´s Rock which can evolve Poliwhirl into Politoed and Slowpoke into Slowking,
- Metal Coat which can evolve Onix into Steelix and Scyther into Scizor,
- Upgrade which can evolve Porygon into Porygon2.
Nobody knows when these items are going to be available, but the purpose of this guide is to analyse how there are going to be obtained by trainers.
Pokémon GO Evolution Items
Nowadays there are two ways in the game to obtain items: buying them at the store or getting them by spinning PokéStops.
Buying Evolution Stones in the Store?
If the Evolution Stones become Store items, their value should be way higher than 200 PokéCoins, depending on the Pokemon you would like to evolve. For rarer Pokémon, the price should be higher – for example Porygon is rarer to obtain than Slowpoke.
The other option is that they could be sold in bundles, in the same fashion as the Christmas package/bundle was sold, for example a number of PokéBalls + a evolution item.
Evolution Stones as Stop drops?
If Niantic decides to introduce Evolution items as PokéStop drops, the drop rate of the stones should not be nearly as frequent as a Pokéball or a Potion, however, introducing new drops will also change the drop rates of current PokéStop items. So, a possible solution to this problem is to enable collection of evolution items only on the seventh day the player opens a PokéStop!
But of course, that spin should guarantee an evolution item drop.
A third option?
The third option is to introduce a completely new way to obtain items in the game: missions! In this case, the possibilities are almost endless, as the feature can be implemented in different ways, for example:
- Capture a set amount of Pokemon of the same type
- Evolve a set amount of Pokemon of the same type
- Defeat a set amount of Pokemon in gyms
- Walk a set distance with a specific Pokemon as your buddy
Personally, I would like Niantic to implement the “third options” and include Gyms in the matter. It would encourage trainers to have better Pokemon, to participate in Gym battles and to use them in battles. Want a Porygon2? Better learn to dodge with a Porygon like a beast!
However, this decision depends on Niantic, until then trainers will be looking forward to heard about the new surprises they are preparing for us.