Trainers, Niantic has just announced that Pokémon GO’s May Community Day will feature Charmander, the Generation 1 Fire type starter “Lizard Pokémon”. The fifth installment of Pokémon GO’s Community Day event series takes place on May 19, 2018, 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM PST. Here is a nice shareable graphic for the main points of the event made by the wonderful Yaaya26.
Similar to the April announcement, the move was not announced right away but was later revealed to be Blast Burn, following the pattern of the starters getting the exclusive, tutor move. This move is also confirmed to onfly be accessible by evolving a Charmander that was caught during the event all the way to a Charizard. We will update this guide with the move when it is made available, as well as the community day box when it appears in store. Unlike the Mareep Community Day, this one features 3x Stardust, so pop those star pieces and bathe in the dust!
As far as Shiny forms go, we have no information to share at the moment, but given the pattern of releasing a Shiny family per event, we would be highly surprised if Shiny Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard don’t make their appearance. Here we can take a look the savagely amazing Shiny Charmander family line:
The event also features the usual Community Day perk: Three hour long Lure Modules!
Event Times in Various Regions
The fifth Community Day will take place on May 19th, 2018 (the third Saturday in May) and it follows the previously established time slots:
- The Asia-Pacific region: from 12:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. JST (GMT +9)
- Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India: from 10:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. UTC (GMT +0)
- The Americas and Greenland: from 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. PST (GMT -8)
Charmander catch rates and throwing tips
Charmander is going to be just as hard to catch as Pikachu, having the usual base catch rate for starters of 20.00%, as well as only benefiting from the Fire medal, and not seeing a dual increase to catch rate like Bulbasaur did due to its dual typing. A good consideration would be to stock up on both Pinap and the two varieties of Razz berries, as at high levels, especially with a Sunny weather boost, it will be quite a difficult lizard to catch. Throwing wise, it is similar to almost all starters, it can be a bit deceiving by how close it is, so practice by finding the starters before hand, or find similar Pokemon to practice with, any decently up close Pokemon will do the trick.
Recommended items for advanced players
This month’s event will be featuring 3x stardust, so definitely pop a star piece often throughout the event to maximize the gains on one of the greatest commodities of the game. Charmander will be boosted by Sunny weather, so if you find yourself in a sunny park this community day, the gains on stardust will be even greater.
- Poke Balls – Stock up on Poke, Great, and Ultra Balls to limit the amount of time spent spinning Pokestops, especially the later two balls considering Charmanders low catch rate.
- Lures – During the event Lures will last 3 hours. Locations with 3 or more stops in close proximity to each other tend to provide the best results during the event.
- Incense – Increase your chances of finding the shiny lizard by maximizing the amount of Pokémon you encounter. Not to mention the more you walk with it, the more it spawns!
- Egg Incubators – You will want to have several of these ready to go for when the event starts. Load up your incubators to maximize the stardust gains from egg hatching. You will be walking anyways, might as well get some nice egg dust!
- Lucky Eggs & Star Pieces – More so the star pieces than the lucky eggs, due to the 3x stardust, but if one is catching, hatching, and maybe doing a community day raid, a lucky egg will shoot your XP bar up! (Assuming you aren’t in the revered level 40 club.)
Charmander CP and IV chart
The following chart depicts the best and worst CP for Charmander at level 1 through 35 that a level 30+ Trainer can encounter. To make things a little easier to remember, here are the maximum Charmander CPs that can be found in the wild.
- 712 CP – non weather boosted, 100% IV, level 30 Charmander
- 771 CP – Sunny weather, 100% IV, level 35 Charmander
- This is the best Charmander you can find in the wild
|Level||Min CP||Max CP|
For those looking purely for their 100% Charmanders, we also include here a text string to input into the search bar. Not all of these are 100% but if it is 100% it has to be one of these CPs.
100% IV Charmander search string
General event tips and tricks
- Wear a good pair of walking shoes. Walking around for 3 hours straight is better spent in comfortable gear.
- In some places in the world it will be getting hotter as summer time approaches, bring plenty of fluids, stay hydrated, and protect yourself from the sun! You want to catch a fire Pokémon, not literally catch fire!
- Get to your favorite local catching spots early. Some spawns currently at the location may change to Charmander!
- Be patient – there will be errors and bugs at the start of the event, don’t worry.
- Ensure that you have Lures up the entire duration (Lures will last for three hours.)
- Catch everything you see! You will thank yourselves when you need to power up for a tough raid!
- Use Incense to attract even more Pokémon to you while you’re out hunting.
- Make sure that you keep your Lucky Eggs and Star Pieces active the entire duration to maximize your XP and Stardust gains. You should use 6 of all items if you consistenly use them every 30 minutes.
- Chat with your fellow Trainers and grow your local Pokémon Go community.
- Promote the new Pokémon Go features and events to Trainers who are just starting their adventure or haven’t been playing for a while.
- Most importantly, have fun!
April Results Announced
Niantic has also shared the team based results of the previous Community Day, and it appears that Team Instinct continues to hold their ground in North America, as well as the map being decidedly less blue!
Team Valor lost their hold on Australia, but stepped their game up in Asia and took it back after 2 community days of it being Mystic. Instinct continues to make a name for themselves holding all of North America to themselves. Of course results wise Mystic still dominates but country wise Valor and Instinct are not backing down!