Groudon is a Tier 5 Legendary Raid Boss in Pokémon GO, being a member of the Weather Trio with Rayquaza and Kyogre. The best Groudon counters are strong Water and Grass-type Pokemon such as Gyarados, Kyogre, Feraligatr, Venusaur and Roserade.
Groudon’s Raid Boss CP is 54411, and you can catch it in the following CP ranges:
- 2260-2351 at Lvl 20, no weather boost
- 2825-2939 at Lvl 25 with Sunny weather
Groudon can be duo’ed with full teams of weather boosted Level 40 Pokémon. Beyond that challenge, we recommend groups of 3-6, for high-level trainers, or 7-20 for lower level players.
Groudon Raid Counters
The following table shows best counters to use versus a Groudon raid boss.
|WEAKNESS Ice Water Grass||BOOSTED BY Sunny|
Picking Groudon’s counters and placing them in a direct list is a bit difficult, given how weather and moveset can change a raid counter pick. One has to consider that the counters for Groudon include: Kyogre, the best Water type, Roserade and Frenzy Plant Sceptile/Venusaur, the best Grass types, and Mamoswine, the best Ice type. However, you cannot just use your best instance of these Pokémon, as moves and weather can shred every single one of these. Fire Blast will burn Grass and Ice types, and Solar Beam will ruin all Water counters except for Gyarados.
The only guaranteed counters in any weather or moveset are, as previously mentioned, Gyarados and Ice Beam Mewtwo. Beyond that, counters listed above fall into two categories:
- Solar Beam Counters that consist of Grass and Ice types.
- Fire Blast Counters that consist of Water types
Groudon has access to the following quick and charge moves:
- Dragon Tail dragon (quick)
- Mud Shot ground (quick)
- Fire Blast fire (charge, one bar)
- Solar Beam grass (charge, one bar)
- Earthquake ground (charge, one bar)
|Sunny||Allows a Level 25 Encounter from Weather Boost. Boosts Grass type moves||Boosts Groudon’s Mud Shot, Earthquake Ground, Solar beam Grass, and Fire Blast Fire|
|Windy||–||Boosts Groudon’s Dragon Tail|
|Snow||Boosts Ice type moves||–|
|Rainy||Boosts Water type moves||–|
Additional Groudon Counters
As Groudon is a tough boss to create a team for, here are some other counters you can use to put up a good team:
- Jynx with Frost Breath/Avalanche
- Empoleon with Waterfall/Hydro Pump
- Meganium with Vine Whip/Frenzy Plant
- Cacturne with Sucker Punch/Grass Knot
- Vileplume with Razor Leaf/Solar Beam
- Blastoise with Water Gun/Hydro Cannon
- Tangela with Vine Whip/Power Whip
- Sharpedo with Waterfall/Hydro Pump
- Vaporeon with Water Gun/Hydro Pump