Rayquaza Raid is Tier 5 Legendary Raid Boss in Pokémon GO, with a number of solid counter options. Rayquaza’s Raid Boss CP is 45468 and Capture CP is 2083 (Lvl 20 Perf. IV). If raiding during Windy weather, Rayquaza’s Raid Capture CP is 2604 (Lvl 25 Perf. IV).
No legendary Pokémon is soloable, so Rayquaza is not either. Around 4-5 trainers are required to defeat a legendary raid boss. Rayquaza’s attacks are boosted by windy weather.
Written by jLiaw
Rayquaza Raid Counters
|Weakness 2x Ice
Rock Fairy Dragon
Picking Rayquaza counters is not very hard since Rayquaza is weak to Ice, Fairy, Dragon and Rock types, some of the most common in the game. The only thing to be wary of during a Rayquaza raid is Rayquaza’s monstrous attack, which is stronger than Kyogre and Groudon and almost on par with Mewtwo. However, it will still be a relatively easy fight due to the large number of exploitable weaknesses Rayquaza has.
Rayquaza can have the following moves:
- Dragon Tail Dragon 23.64 DPS (Fast)
- Air Slash 20.00 DPS (Fast)
- Outrage Dragon 48.21DPS (Charged, 2 Bar)
- Aerial Ace 39.17DPS (Charged, 3 Bar)
- Ancient Power Rock 28.57 DPS (Charged, 3 Bar)
One of the thing you immediately notice with the moves is a lack of an effective charged move outside Outrage. This immediately makes the fight a lot easier since you do not have to worry about outrageously (pardon the pun) powerful charged moves smashing through your team. For this reason, we recommend Gardevoir against non-Air Slash variants.
Other good counters to Rayquaza are Pokémon with access to Ice type moves. Since Rayquaza has a double weakness to ice, massed hordes of Lapras, Articuno and the oddly built “Blizzard Kyogre” will tear through Rayquaza like a Snorlax in an all-you-can eat restaurant.
To sum up counters for Rayquaza’s different movesets:
- Air Slash/Outrage variants = Mix of Gardevoir/Fairy types and Ice types
- Dragon Tail/Outrage variants = Horde of Fairies
- Air Slash/Ancient Power or Air Slash/Aerial Ace = Tyranitar and other Rock types with some ice types added to the mix
Dragon Tail/Ancient Power or Dragon Tail/Aerial Ace = Mix of Tyranitar with Stone Edge, Gardevoir/Fairy types and a few Articuno/Lapras
Other Rayquaza raid counters
We don’t expect that you will need any additional counters, but for lower level players, these Pokémon are still viable:
- Kingdra with any moveset that does not include Water type Moves (Blizzard is recommended above all other Charged moves though Outrage still works)
- Anything with access to an Ice type move
- Golem with Rock Throw/Stone Edge
- Rydon with Mud Slap (this deals more damage than the equally ineffective Rock Smash due to STAB and a higher base power)/Stone Edge
- Most Faries or Pokémon with Fairy type moves