Articuno is a Legendary Level 5 Raid Bosses in Pokemon GO. This page details best Articuno raid counters and strategies used to defeat it. A Shiny Articuno is available from raids on Articuno Day, July 7th, and a minimum of 3-4 Trainers is required to defeat Articuno.
Articuno is an Ice and type Pokemon, with 37603 Boss CP and it can be caught with following perfect CPs:
- 1599 – 1676 CP (raid catch with no weather boost, level 20)
- 1999 – 2095 CP (raid catch with Snow or Windy weather boost, level 25)
|Weakness Rock x2 Fire
|Boosted by Snow Windy|
Articuno is easy to predict, as it only has Ice type moves available, and the time to win is relatively the same for each moveset. Its Fast Move is Frost Breath Ice while having these three Charged Moves:
- Blizzard Ice
- Ice Beam Ice
- Icy Wind Ice
Blizzard poses the biggest problem to time to win, however the difference between it and the best moveset, Icy Wind, is only give or take ten seconds. Those looking to break some records and go for low-man raids had best find a Frost Breath/Icy Wind moveset to tackle.
Articuno Raid Counters in-depth
We already explained these counters above, but let’s recap once again. Articuno’s type chart reveals a glaring weakness to Rock (196% damage taken from it) and we use that to defeat it easily. Smack Down / Stone Edge Tyranitar is the best counter under every weather, no exceptions.
When it comes to weather influences, lower tier counters perform better if they’re boosted:
- Rainy weather makes Raikou the #2 counter and Zapdos is not a bad choice either
- Sunny weather makes Moltres and Entei perform better than Golem and Omastar
- Snow weather makes Metagross #5, but still behind Golem and Omastar
All in all, a team of solid Rock attackers is a great option to counter Articuno in every weather, hands down.
These Pokemon are weaker than the counters mentioned above, but they are still viable, especially in large raid groups:
- Lanturn with Charge Beam/ Thunderbolt
- Charizard with Fire Spin/ Overheat
- Typhlosion with Ember/ Overheat
- Kabutops with Rock Smash/ Ancient Power
- Aerodactyl with Bite/ Ancient Power
- Houndoom with Fire Fang/ Fire Blast
Considerably weaker, but still viable counters, mostly used in large groups as throw away attackers:
- Steelix with Iron Tail/ Heavy Slam
- Magcargo with Rock Throw/ Stone Edge
- Sudowoodo with Rock Throw/ Stone Edge
- Jolteon with Thunder Shock/ Thunderbolt
- Magneton with Thunder Shock/ Zap Cannon
- Ampharos with Charge Beam/ Zap Cannon