Articuno raid boss is a Legendary Level 5 Raid Bosses in Pokemon GO. This page details best Articuno raid guide counters and strategies used to defeat it. A Shiny Articuno is available from raids and a minimum of 3-4 Trainers is required to defeat Articuno. Best Articuno counter is Smack Down Tyranitar.
Articuno is an Ice and type Pokemon, with 40165 Boss CP and it can be caught with following perfect CPs:
- 1665 – 1743 CP (raid catch with no weather boost, level 20)
- 2082 – 2179 CP (raid catch with Snow or Windy weather boost, level 25)
Articuno is double weak to Rock-type attacks, which makes picking counters super easy: Smack Down Tyranitar is on top, followed by an army of strong Rock users, like Omastar and Golem.
|Weakness Rock x2 Fire
|Boosted by Snow Windy|
Articuno is easy to predict, as it only has Ice type moves available, and the time to win is relatively the same for each moveset. Its Fast Move is Frost Breath Ice while having these three Charged Moves:
- Blizzard Ice
- Ice Beam Ice
- Icy Wind Ice
Blizzard poses the biggest problem in time to win, however, the difference between it and the best moveset, Icy Wind, give or take is ten seconds. Those looking to break some records and go for low-man raids had best find a Frost Breath/Icy Wind moveset to tackle.
Articuno Raid Counters in-depth
We already explained these counters above, but let’s recap once again. Articuno’s type chart reveals a glaring weakness to Rock (196% damage taken from it) and we use that to defeat it easily. Smack Down / Rock Slide Rampardos is the best counter under every weather, no exceptions. Should you not have a Rampardos yet though, Tyranitar still makes for an excellent counter.
When it comes to weather influences, lower tier counters perform better if they’re boosted:
- Rainy weather makes Raikou a good choice and Zapdos is not a bad choice either.
- Sunny weather makes Moltres and Entei perform better.
- Snow weather lets you bring in Metagross.
All in all, a team of solid Rock attackers are a great option to counter Articuno in every weather, hands down.
Additional Articuno Counters
These Pokemon are weaker than Articuno counters mentioned above, but they are still viable, especially in large raid groups:
- Electivire with Thunder Shock / Wild Charge
- Moltres with Fire Spin / Overheat
- Flareon with Fire Spin / Overheat
- Armaldo with Fury Cutter / Rock Blast
- Kabutops with Fury Cutter / Ancient Power
- Aggron with Iron Tail / Stone Edge
- Typhlosion with Ember / Blast Burn
- Ampharos with Charge Beam / Power Gem
- Aerodactyl with Steel Wing / Rock Slide
- Luxray with Spark / Wild Charge
- Charizard with Fire Spin / Blast Burn
- Mamoswine with Powder Snow / Stone Edge
- Magmortar with Fire Spin / Fire Punch
Considerably weaker, but still viable counters, mostly used in large groups as throwaway attackers:
- Steelix with Iron Tail/ Heavy Slam
- Magcargo with Rock Throw/ Stone Edge
- Jolteon with Thunder Shock/ Thunderbolt
- Magneton with Thunder Shock/ Zap Cannon
- Starmie with Hidden Power / Power Gem