Lapras is one of the most appealing Tier 4 Raid Bosses, with a Boss CP of 21768 and a maximum Capture CP of 1487 (100% IV). Lapras is a great addition to your attacking lineup due to its tankiness and its typing.
It used to be one of the best Pokémon in terms of CP, but it got nerfed. However, it is still viable in the gym meta, as it is one of the best Dragonite counters if it has double ice type moves. Dragonite role has changed after the latest update and it is not as common in gyms due to the greater CP decay rate for Pokémon over 3000 CP (its max CP is currently 3530), as it is now used as an all-out DPS attacker. However, if Raid Boss rotation occurs in the future and Dragonite becomes a Tier 4 Raid Boss, Lapras would be one of the best options to counter it.
Lapras is by no means soloable, and the minimum recommended group size is 5 or 6 people. Keep in mind that even though Lapras has the lowest CP of all Tier 4 Raid Bosses, its tankiness and typing will make it a good defender and taking it down won’t be an easy job.
Best attackers against Lapras
|Best attackers||Other options|
|Counter||Dynamic Punch||Bullet Seed||Solar Beam|
|Counter||Close Combat||Rock Smash||Dynamic Punch|
|Thunder Shock||Thunder||Charge Beam||Thunder|
Lapras is a water/ice type Pokémon. Therefore, it is weak to electric, grass, fighting and rock.
The best attackers to fight Lapras are Machamp, Heracross and electric type attackers with great DPS output such as Jolteon. Other potential options could be Exeggutor (only if its moveset includes double grass type attacks AND none of Lapras moves are ice type moves), Poliwrath with double fighting type moves (Rock Smash/Dynamic Punch) and Lanturn with double electric type attacks, but they are way below in terms of viability with respect to the three mentioned at the beginning.
The best movesets of the Pokémon just mentioned are:
- Machamp: The best option to take Lapras down. With its two best movesets, Counter/Close Combat (STAB DPS of 35.50) and Counter/Dynamic Punch (29.20), it is a great DPS output option for this battle. Lapras is weak to fighting and Machamp is the best fighting type attacker, that’s what makes it the best option. If you don’t have a Machamp with double fighting type moves, you should definitely consider doing a Machamp Raid (Tier 3) or using a TM if you have a good one with steel type moves, since it is one of the best counters to some of the best Tier 4 Raid Bosses, such as Tyranitar and Snorlax.
- Heracross: Heracross can do the same job as Machamp, but since it is a Regional Pokémon, it is way more complicated to obtain one. Its only viable moveset is Counter/Close Combat (STAB DPS of 35.50), which makes it even more difficult to find a proper Heracross for this battle. However, if you have one, you definitely want to bring it to this battle.
- Jolteon: Jolteon is the best electric type attacker in the current metagame, which makes it a good Lapras counter. Thunder Shock/Thunder (STAB DPS of 31.25) and Thunder Shock/Thunderbolt (25.20) are its recommended attacking movesets for this battle, but if you feel comfortable using Volt Switch as a Quick move, even though it can be really slow, go ahead since it also has a great DPS output. Jolteon’s main limitation is that it is a glass cannon, meaning that it can be taken down pretty easily.
- Exeggutor: Exeggutor’s viability in this battle depends on several aspects. First of all, Exeggutor is a grass/psychic type Pokémon, which makes it weak to ice type attacks. Lapras is currently one of the best ice type attackers in the game, and bringing Exeggutor to this battle can be a risk, depending on Lapras’ moves. Taking type advantages into consideration, Exeggutor’s best moveset is Bullet Seed/Solar Beam (STAB DPS of 27.50), but Extrasensory/Solar Beam and Confusion/Solar Beam (Legacy moveset) could also work as alternatives. It is not the best option for this battle, but Solar Beam’s great DPS output should be considered.
- Poliwrath: Some people tend to forget about it, but Poliwrath can be a good counter to Lapras. It is a water/fighting type Pokémon, which makes it resistant to not only Lapras’ water type attacks but also to its ice type attacks. Rock Smash/Dynamic Punch has a STAB DPS of 28.05, which makes it a viable option for this battle.
- Lanturn: There are several reasons why it can be considered as a good counter to Lapras. Its water/electric typing is one of them, since it resists both Lapras’ water and ice type attacks. Furthermore, its best moveset, which is Charge Beam/Thunder, has a DPS of 30.60. Another interesting aspect to consider is its tankiness. Even though it only maxes out at 2047, its tankiness can be beneficial for this battle.
Lapras is considered as an ultra-rare Pokémon. Encountering it in the wild can be really difficult, and it is one of the most difficult Pokémon to hatch from 10 km eggs. It is a great gym defending option to consider, due to its typing and available ice type movesets. If you see a Lapras Raid Boss, you should consider giving it a try.
A Lapras with Frost Breath/Blizzard or Frost Breath/Ice Beam destroys Dragonites, which are still present in some gyms and could be included in potential future Raid Boss rotations.
Catching a Lapras can be extremely difficult. Its catch percentage went down from 20 to 5% in the latest GAME_MASTER change, which makes it very challenging to catch one. Even after using a Golden Razz Berry, its circle will still show up red, so aiming carefully is almost mandatory in order to catch it.