That’s right trainers, for the first time in the history of the Pokémon series, we have been introduced to a Mythical Pokémon that can actually evolve! Meltan has been shown to gather together, merge with one another, and when there is enough they evolve into Melmetal.This Steel type Pokémon in this evolution hasn’t been seen in 3000 years, so this research with Oak and Willow is groundbreaking!
It was revered and worshiped in ancient times for being able to create metal. It’s body is liquid metal, but due to the evolution it is hardened and more sturdy than before. It also possesses a unique move, as most Legendaries and Mythicals do, called Double Iron Bash. This Steel type move, as described by Pokémon.com, is incredibly powerful; it has the hex nut on its chest work like a axle to spin its heavy metal body around, dealing a double bash with its arms that are so powerful, it may make the opponent flinch!
Here are our professors discussing the matter and making this discovery of the Mythical Melmetal:
Now, what does this mean for Pokémon Go and the main series? Well, a couple things:
- Again, this is a Mythical Pokémon that has the ability to evolve, a first in the series. This continues a recent trend of the company making series firsts, such as adding new Pokemon midway through a generation (such as Meltan, and new Ultra Beasts/Zeraora added in the Ultra Sun and Moon lines for Generation 7).
- Moves that can make the opponent flinch in the main series are useful in competitive play, especially when paired with proper items and abilities. So a Mythical described as powerful, that can dole out a STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) Steel type move, that then has a chance to make the target flinch, is on paper insanely powerful. Of course there will be many factors to consider for the main series, such as its abilities, stats, move pool, but again on paper it looks promising.
- We have no confirmation on stat composition of Meltan, Melmetal, or Double Iron Bash. However, you can be sure we will keep a eye out for future updates to see if this move makes its way in the assets alongside Meltan and Melmetal.
- As for Pokémon go, catching Meltan is required to evolve it to Melmetal, as it has been confirmed it takes 400 candy to evolve in Go. There is no way to evolve Melmetal in Let’s Go, so Meltan catching in Go is something you have to do if you want this mythical in the upcoming Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee. To do this you have to receive the mystery box from Let’s Go, that you then get from transferring Pokémon from Go to Let’s Go.
- It is important to remind here that the best way to quickly get candy would be Pinap Berry catching, transferring to Professor, transferring to Let’s Go, walking as a buddy, and Rare Candy dumps. Rare Candy dumps will technically be the fastest, but that is a heavy investment.
- This is a confirmation that the silhouette that we saw in some official teases, as well as the cries we found that were added in the data-mine of 0.123.1 were indeed that of Melmetal, and confirm the suspicion that it was an evolution for Meltan, not a form.
- Useless info, but Melmetal still has that little red tail.