Pokémon GO’s Community Day Classic returns in January, featuring Larvitar, the Rock Skin Pokémon. January 2023 Community Day Classic takes place on Saturday, January 21, 2023, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time.
Larvitar Community Day Classic
- Date and Time 📅
- Larvitar Community Day Classic takes place on Saturday, January 21, 2023, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time.
- Bonuses ⭐
- 3x XP for catching Pokémon
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours
- For US$1.00 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access a Larvitar Community Day Classic–exclusive Special Research story
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day Classic for a surprise!
Larvitar will appear more frequently in the wild, and if you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Larvitar! Tyranitar evolved during the event, or up to two hours afterward – from 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – will know the Fast Attack Smack Down.
Smack Down is a Rock-type Fast Move that has 12 power in Trainer Battles, and 16 power in Gym and raids. Smack Down is an incredible Fast Move, and is without a doubt the best Fast Attack you can have on Tyranitar, so be sure to evolve one during this time.
For more information read our:
- Community Day Tyranitar as a raid attacker, 2023 edition: Can TTAR be Made Great Again? for an up-to-date overview of Smack Down TTAR across all other comparable Rock and Dark attackers
- Smack Down Tyranitar: A Comprehensive Meta Analysis article from 2018, which illustrates how much uplift Smack Down gives to Tyranitar as a Rock-type attacker.
How to evolve Tyranitar?
Shiny Larvitar, Pupitar and Tyranitar
Larvitar IV Chart
Bold indicates Pokémon level in the wild. Levels up to 30 available in the wild, 30-35 only with weather boost. Larvitar is boosted by Sunny and Partly Cloudy weather.
Special Research Story: Larvitar Community Day Classic
For US$1.00 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access a Larvitar Community Day Classic–exclusive Special Research story. You’ll also be able to gift this to friends you have achieved Great Friends or higher with, provided you have already bought the ticket for yourself.
Tickets are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service). Please note that this Special Research will not include an in-game medal.
Larvitar Community Day Classic (1/4)
|Power up Pokémon 10 times||15x Poké Ball|
|Catch 15 Larvitar||Larvitar|
|Make 5 Nice Throws||20x Larvitar Candy|
- 2000x Stardust
- 1x Incense
Larvitar Community Day Classic (2/4)
|Catch 15 Larvitar||30x Larvitar Candy|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||Pupitar|
|Evolve 3 Larvitar||10x Pinap Berry|
- 1500x XP
- 1x Incense
Larvitar Community Day Classic (3/4)
|Make 3 Great Curveball Throws||50x Larvitar Candy|
|Evolve a Dragonair||1x Lucky Egg|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||15x Great Ball|
- 2500x XP
- 1x Rocket Radar
- 15x Ultra Ball
Larvitar Community Day Classic (4/4)
|Claim Reward!||2x Silver Pinap Berry|
|Claim Reward!||3500x XP|
- 3000x Stardust
- 2x Rare Candy
Tips and Tricks
Larvitar Classic Community Day is an old-school, grind-friendly, type of event, that features triple XP for Catching Pokémon. Stock up with Pinap Berries to collect more Larvitar candy along the way, be sure to have Star Piece and Lucky Egg on for the entire duration, and make the most of this bonus.
- 100x Pinap Berry
- 6x Star Piece
- 6x Lucky Egg
Of course, Lure-up as many PokéStops as you can along your play route, and pop an Incense if you are experiencing spawn down time.
Mega Level Up!
PSA: Larvitar is NOT a Dark type. Use Rock and Ground Megas.
Try to get a Rock or Ground-type Mega Pokémon to at least high level, or even Max level to enjoy the bonuses that having that Pokémon mega evolved during the event can give you. Be sure to Mega Evolve for extra Candy from catches.
Your best options for Megas include:
- 1 Bonus Catch Candy
- 1 Bonus Catch Candy *
- 50 Bonus Catch XP *
- 10% Boost to XL Candy Chance *
- 2 Bonus Catch Candy *
- 100 Bonus Catch XP *
- 25% Boost to XL Candy Chance *
(*) Note: The catch candy and catch XP bonuses only apply to Pokémon caught of the same type as your mega-evolved Pokémon.
Don’t catch Pokémon before the event starts
Pokémon you have not caught before the event start can turn into Larvitar, which means it is best to arrive at your spot early, and wait to catch it until the event starts.
Restart the app before the event
Be patient – there will always be errors and bugs at the start of the event. It is best to restart the app in most, if not all, cases.
Don’t forget to spin PokéStops
Remember PokéStops give out quests that are very beneficial on Community Day, giving you rewards for Stardust, Great and Ultra Balls, and Pinap Berries, all things that can help you if your stocks are low.
Don’t activate lures before the event starts
To ensure that you have Lures up the entire duration, do not set your lures before the start of the event, as those will only last 30 minutes. The Lure has to go up after the event has started to last for three hours. Not to mention it will block the boosted CD spawns from spawning until it has depleted.
Use Incense to attract even more Pokémon to you while you’re out hunting. If you are wondering, yes, Incense can spawn Community Day ‘mons, that can be shiny. There is no reason why you should avoid Incense if you have it.
Don’t forget to enjoy the event
- Chat with your fellow Trainers and grow your local Pokémon Go community. Make good use of the QR code feature to make some new friends!
- Promote the new Pokémon Go features and events to Trainers who are just starting their adventure or haven’t been playing for a while. People are coming back around due to trading, new Pokémon, PvP, the numerous events, and these community-based events.
- Most importantly, have fun, get some shinies, and hope for no game-breaking glitches!