Pokemon GO September Community Day takes place today, on September 15 2019, and features the Generation IV Grass starter Pokemon Turtwig. If you’re lucky, you may even encounter a shiny Turtwig! Torterra’s Community Day Exclusive move is Frenzy Plant. The Turtwig Community Day lasts from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and you will be able to collect 3x Stardust from catching Pokémon.
Basic event information
|Date||Sunday, September 15, 2019|
|Time||From 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
- 3x Catch Stardust
- Turtwig will appear more frequently in the wild.
- Lure Modules will last three hours for the duration of the event.
- You may encounter a Shiny Turtwig if you’re lucky!
- Evolve Grotle during the event or up to two hours afterward to obtain Torterra that knows a special move!
Shiny Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra
A table of new shiny Pokemon that will be available starting with Turtwig Community Day:
Turtwig CP Chart
Turtwig is a Grass Type Pokemon, boosted by Sunny weather. A perfect level 30 Turtwig CP is 807. A perfect weather boosted Turtwig has 1102 CP at level 35.
- Weather boosted Pokemon have an IV floor of 4/4/4 and can be caught up to level 35
- In-game weather is affected by level 11 S2 cells, which means it is possible you have favorable weather in your vicinity
How to prepare and which items to bring
The following items are a must have for Community Day events:
In order to be ready for Turtwig Community Day, we suggest the following item setup as a minimum requirement for the event:
- 6 Star Pieces
- 10 Incubators
- 150 – 250 Pinap Berries
- 300 Poke Balls (mixed, but Great and Ultra are always welcomed)
- 6 Lucky Eggs
- 6 Incense
- Lure Modules
- Star Piece – Stardust is one of the most valuable resources in the game, next to Rare Candy, TMs and Sinnoh Stones. So the chance to increase your gains, during your greatest time of catching and the default x2 bonus, is a great opportunity indeed. To add on top of that, Star Piece will boost Stardust you get from every Egg you hatch.
- Egg Incubator / Super Incubator – Combine with Star Piece at all times, there is no point to hatching without Star Pieces.
- Pinap Berry / Silver Pinap Berry – While we would not recommend the use of Silver Pinaps, both of these could be used to increase your candy gains, and considering how meta-relevant some of the Exclusive Moves can be, candy will definitely be needed.
- Lucky Egg – While it might not be incredibly useful for those Level 40s out there, those on the path to the max level will find the benefits of a Lucky Egg great, both during the regular event and the 2x bonus.
- Poké Balls – Goes without saying, you need balls to catch Pokémon, stock up on the higher end ones as much as you can prior to the event to get easy catches.
- Raid Passes – Weird suggestion right? No, do a raid, with a Star Piece and Lucky Egg on, and catch something with a good chance at high IVs.
- Gotcha / GO Plus / Poké Ball Plus – These are good for spinning the stops while you are walking, or catching that random Roselia or something that pops up.
Optimizing Lure Module usage
With Lure Modules lasting for three hours, the optimal usage is to activate one as soon as the event starts. Activate Lures along your farming route.
Mixing Glacial, Mossy and Magnetic Lure modules with Normal modules can be beneficial for players who don’t have regular access to those. These Lures will also last for three hours. We suggest placing them at a convenient location that’s outside your “CD farming route”.
Note: Placing a Lure at the last minute of the event will make that Lure last for three hours as well.
Where to play
Usually, our Community Day location advice is always similar: pick a spot with ample spawn zones (preferably a park) and with enough PokeStops to benefit from the CD exclusive quests.
An ideal place to play during the September Community Day looks like this:
- Has ample spawn areas and a large number of PokeStops – important for picking up Eggs and Lure spawns during the event
- Has a large number of naturally occurring spawns that will be converted to Turtwig during the CD hourse
- PokeStops are distributed along a fairly straight line and you can lure them all up and hatch eggs efficiently.
- Takes at least 5 – 6 minutes to walk from one end to the other. This will help you get better Egg hatch distance as you won’t benefit from Adventure Sync during the event (works only if the game is closed)
- The area allows you to get full distance walked from one end to the other end, maximizing the hatch distance acquired while walking. The shape and size of the area should not affect your ability to farm Turtwig efficiently – you have to be able to do both things successfully.
Perfect examples of these areas are parks filled with PokeStops along a trail, or urban areas with long streets that are “walking friendly”. As a general rule, you should look for “cluster spawn areas”, aka areas with lots of network traffic where Pokemon often spawn in groups. These areas tend to be perfect spots for CD events, and they’re perfect if they’re easy to lure up.
As your Community Day draws to a close, we suggest that you keep all of the Pokemon you caught in your storage. Transferring them earlier reduces your chances of getting a Lucky Trade afterwards. This is especially true for high level Pokemon with bad IVs – level 28, 29 and level 30 Pokemon are perfect candidates for rapid trading after the event.
Most of the trading takes place in the 1 hour after Community Day ends and that’s the perfect strategy to tackle this. Our advice is as follows:
- Trade high level, low IV, Pokemon first. We use the new 0*, 1* and 2* search string filter to find appropriate Pokemon. Sort by CP to get them sorted by Level. Example search string for Turtwig:
If possible, always trade with a person you have high friendship with. We often forget this, but trading with a friend enforces a IV floor for the traded Pokemon:
- Good Friend – 1/1/1 IV floor
- Great Friend – 2/2/2 IV floor
- Ultra Friend – 3/3/3 IV floor
- Best Friend – 5/5/5 IV floor
If you’re planning on bulk transferring CD Pokemon, be aware that trading them before will grant you +1 Candy per Pokemon. It doesn’t matter if you enjoy trading or not – it is always beneficial to trade bad Pokemon before transferring them.
If you’re planning to complete a Lucky Trade with a CD shiny, we suggest you pick a bad IV shiny for the trade. Lucky Pokemon have an IV floor of 12 / 12 / 12, which is great for “fixing” bad shiny Pokemon.
Search strings for quick trading
- Safe to trade Turtwig:
387&0*,1*,2*(sort by CP)
- 82.2%+ Turtwig search string:
- 100% Turtwig search string:
Tips and Tricks
- As previously stated, Niantic announced that you can evolve your Turtwig to get the Community Day exclusive move up to 2 hour after the the event ends. This means you can focus more on catching Turtwig instead of evolving in the last few minutes. Although, as a general cautionary rule, in case there are any issues on Niantic’s end, evolve at least a few before the event end.
- Pokémon you have not caught prior to the event start can turn into Turtwig, it is best to wait to catch until the event starts.
- Be patient – there will be errors and bugs at the start of the event. It is best to restart the app in some, if not most, cases.
- To ensure that you have Lures up the entire duration, do not lure prior to the event start, as those will only last 30 minutes. You will know when Community Day is on, just watch for the lag spike, the spinning Pokéball, and the almost inevitable need to restart. Lures will last for three hours then.
- Use Incense to attract even more Pokémon to you while you’re out hunting. If you are wondering, yes Incense can spawn Community Day ‘mons, that can be shiny. Incense is worth it.
- Chat with your fellow Trainers and grow your local Pokémon Go community. Make good use of the QR code feature to make some new friends!
- Promote the new Pokémon Go features and events to Trainers who are just starting their adventure or haven’t been playing for a while.
- Most importantly, have fun, get your shiny Turtwig, and hope for good network connections!