Stay safe. Seriously, stay safe. We had epidemics in the past, most of which were spread by lack of information. This one can be avoided – we live in the day and age of information overload. Let’s use this community to share the information even further.
COVID-19, popularly known as Coronavirus, is currently spreading throughout and it’s important to stay safe, especially as a Pokémon GO player. As a community, we interact with a lot of people on a regular basis, and viruses can easily spread through participating in regular activities such as raiding and catching together.
In order to help you stay safe, we prepared a quick summary of tips to stay safe and some facts about the virus.
Infographic about the virus
Stay safe from Coronavirus while still enjoying Pokémon GO
The new coronavirus is a respiratory virus which spreads primarily through droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose.
The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. After touching it, clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
Solo raiding is your friend. Solo raids don’t involve other people and the chance to get infected is minimal. While going to the raid, try to ride your car, bike, scooter or motorcycle. Avoid public transportation if possible. Same goes for GO Rocket invasions – they’re safe and you’re alone.
Reduce interpersonal contact to a minimum. You don’t need to stand shoulder to shoulder with someone while raiding, especially not if there is a big group. Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. They’ll understand.
Participate in PvP. Even if you don’t enjoy it, be aware that Niantic has pushed a lot of bonuses that promote playing at home. We think this is not accidental, they are aware of the COVID-19 situation, and they are doing their part.
Stay in touch with your fellow players via WhatsApp, Discord, Telegram or Messenger.
If you get Coronavirus, under any circumstances don’t travel. Check yourself into emergency care and let medical officials treat you. This meme is funny, but it is also the prime example of what you shouldn’t be doing:
A few facts about the Coronavirus
- People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- The new coronavirus cannot be transmitted through goods manufactured in China or any country reporting COVID-19 cases. If you think a surface may be contaminated, use a disinfectant to clean it.
- Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the new coronavirus.
- Taking a hot bath does not prevent the new coronavirus disease
- The new coronavirus CANNOT be transmitted through mosquito bites.
- Hand dryers are not effective in killing the 2019-nCoV
- Spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body will not kill viruses that have already entered your body.
- At present, there is no evidence that companion animals/pets such as dogs or cats can be infected with the new coronavirus.
- Garlic is a healthy food that may have some antimicrobial properties. However, there is no evidence from the current outbreak that eating garlic has protected people from the new coronavirus.