Giratina (Origin Form) is a Tier 5 Raid Boss in Pokémon GO. The best Giratina Origin Form counters are mostly the same as Giratina (Altered) counters, featuring strong Dragon, Dark, Ghost and Ice types, such as Rayquaza, Dragonite, Palkia, Gengar, Mewtwo, and Tyranitar.
Giratina (Origin Form) has a Raid Boss CP of 41776, can be caught with the following CP values:
- 2018 – 2105 CP with no weather boost (Level 20)
- 2523 – 2631 CP with Fog or Windy weather (Level 25)
The best-case scenario for Giratina (Origin Forme) is a very manageable duo with Best Friend Bonuses and full teams of Dragons with possibly Mamoswine or Gengar mixed in if needed. Ideally, use 3-6 high-level players, or 6+ lower leveled players when fighting this raid boss.
This guide lists the best counters, forme stats, and which moves Giratina (Origin Forme) can have in Pokémon GO.
Giratina (Origin) best counters
|#||Pokemon||Fast Move||Charge Move||Time to win||Deaths|
|5.||Dragon Tail||Draco Meteor||557.25s||23.00|
|7.||Dragon Tail||Draco Meteor||552.15s||25.17|
|8.||Dragon Breath||Draco Meteor||589.65s||20.17|
|11.||Dragon Breath||Draco Meteor||586.13s||23.83|
|12.||Dragon Tail||Draco Meteor||589.49s||24.67|
|13.||Dragon Tail||Dragon Claw||565.65s||28.17|
|14.||Dragon Breath||Dragon Claw||593.84s||25.17|
|16.||Powder Snow||Weather Ball||625.88s||22.33|
|17.||Dragon Breath||Dragon Claw||634.15s||22.33|
|19.||Shadow Claw||Shadow Ball||609.32s||26.67|
|21.||Dragon Breath||Draco Meteor||638.44s||26.33|
|24.||Psycho Cut||Shadow Ball||625.33s||28.83|
|25.||Dragon Breath||Dragon Claw||604.88s||31.83|
|30.||Shadow Claw||Shadow Ball||586.04s||35.50|
|34.||Dragon Breath||Draco Meteor||734.28s||25.00|
Mega Houndoom is a force against Giratina. With a time to win over 120 seconds faster than Rayquaza, it does a ton of damage all on its own. Coupled with the fact that it boosts the damage of other dark attackers on the field makes Houndoom the number one choice.
Rayquaza is a beast when used against either Forme of Giratina, as it exploits its weakness to Dragon-type attacks and deals insane amounts of damage in the shortest amount of time. Dragonite and Salamence are basically the same, just with slightly higher times and, in Salamence’s case, more faints.
Tyranitar is slow, being 100+ seconds behind Rayquaza, but very efficient in terms of Potion usage. If you are potion poor and looking to still be useful in the raid, this is one of your best options.
Weavile is one of the few pure Ice-types that can be considered a top-tier counter as far as Ice-types are relevant, alongside Mamoswine. Interestingly enough, your fastest time will be with a mixed set, with an Ice-type charged move and a Dark-type fast move.
Shadow Ball Mewtwo is a worthwhile pick whenever it can dole out Super Effective damage. It faints less than a Gengar but also does not have as low of a Time-to-Win due to Psycho Cut or Confusion not being Super Effective. Additionally, it can manage with Ice Beam, but keep in mind Shadow Ball is better.
Mamoswine became, hands down, the best Ice-type in the game upon its release for Community Day. It is no surprise it would show up here as one of the best counters. Giratina does not have a double weakness to ice however, so even its power is dwarfed by other, more powerful, dragons.
Gengar is the first non-dragon to get a mention It is a fantastic Glass Cannon pick, with either its legacy Shadow Claw fast move, or its Gengar Day Exclusive, Lick. It will faint a lot, but the damage will be worth it.
Giratina will be boosted by Fog and Windy weather, while being more vulnerable in Fog, Windy, Cloudy, and Snow.
|Windy||Allows a Level 25 Encounter from Weather Boost. Boosts Dragon attackers.||Boosts Giratina’s Dragon Tail and Dragon Pulse|
|Cloudy||Boosts Fairy attackers||–|
|Snow||Boosts Ice attackers||–|
|Fog||Allows a Level 25 Encounter from Weather Boost. Boosts Ghost and Dark attackers.||Boosts Giratina’s Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball, and Ominous Wind|
Giratina’s Raid Moves and Stats Analysis
Giratina (Origin Forme) is a Ghost Dragon type that has the following stats:
|Max CP 3683|
|ATK 225||DEF 187||HP 284|
|Weak to||Strong Against|
|Dark Dragon Fairy Ghost Ice||Ghost Psychic Dragon|
Giratina (Origin Forme) can have the following move sets in a raid battle and when captured:
|Fast Moves||Charge Moves||DPS||TDO|
|Shadow Claw Ghost||Shadow Ball Ghost||14.54||1035.27|
|Dragon Tail Dragon||Shadow Ball Ghost||14.09||1003.71|
|Shadow Claw Ghost||Dragon Pulse Dragon||12.85||915.06|
|Dragon Tail Dragon||Dragon Pulse Dragon||12.48||888.89|
|Shadow Claw Ghost||Ominous Wind Ghost||12.10||861.61|
|Dragon Tail Dragon||Ominous Wind Ghost||11.75||836.67|
Now, what actually makes Giratina (Origin Forme) that much different from the Altered Forme?
- Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball being available to the Origin Forme gives it access to the best Ghost-type moveset in the game.
- Origin Forme also has access to the Fast Move: Dragon Tail and the Charge Moves: Dragon Pulse and Ominous Wind.
- Origin Forme and Altered Forme, in the game, swap their attack and defence stats, making Origin Forme attack based, and Altered Forme defence based. This means that Origin Forme will hit harder but be defeated faster.
- A duo that would have been difficult before with Altered Forme is now entirely easy with Origin Forme, even before factoring in weather and friendship bonuses. Which in turn means that it is a simply easier fight. You do not need as many people with Origin Forme as you did with Altered Forme.
- It will hit harder, and you may see more faints. However, the effect is minimal as far as simulations go. You will only see these results when using your glass cannons like Gengar and Banette.
- Origin Forme will be your go-to forme to use if Giratina ever gets an exclusive move. Altered Giratina, even with something exclusive, would not see as wide usage as an Origin Forme would.