Trainers, Trapinch will be appearing everywhere from 11 am to 2 pm in your local timezone on October 12th, during Pokemon GO October community day. As usual for all community days thus far, its shiny form will be released, and it will have the exclusive move Earth Power.
|Community Day Pokémon||Trapinch|
|Date and Time||October 12th 2019
11 am to 2 pm in your local time zone
|Exclusive Move||Earth Power Ground|
In this guide, we detail everything you need to know about the Ant Pit Pokémon leading up to your Community Day, including perfect Trapinch CP at different levels, weather influence, catching tips and more.
Shiny Trapinch, Vibrava and Flygon will be released during October Community Day:
In order to be ready for Trapinch Community Day, we suggest to bring the following items as a good preparation for the event:
- 6 Star Pieces
- 6 Lucky Eggs
- 150 – 250 Pinap Berries
- 300 Poke Balls (mixed, but Great and Ultra are always welcomed)
- 6 Incense
- Lure Modules
Given the early start time, we here at GO Hub recommend a balanced breakfast to start your community day! Perhaps some Lucky Eggs? You’ll need six of them in order to take full advantage of up to 6x Catch XP during the event, one for each half-hour, totaling 600 XP per catch!
Even more necessary is the use of Star Pieces. Catching all Pokémon for XP is one thing, but Stardust is far more of an important resource overall and should be a priority. Kill two birds with one stone, and turn on a Star Piece for 150 Stardust per catch.
This is also a healthy reminder to hatch eggs during the event, use your coins for tons of super incubators and raid passes, and maximize on the use of your items.
Reminder: It is best to set timers on your phone to remember the next Lucky Egg or Star Piece!
Trapinch is a Ground type Pokémon boosted by Sunny weather. A Perfect level 30 Trapinch has 1092 CP, while a perfect weather boosted Trapinch has 1183 at level 35. Catch CP is crucial, regardless of where you get your Trapinch from, so catch everything above 900 CP, regardless of IVs.
Below is a handy table with all possible perfect IV Trapinch CP values:
- Trapinch is boosted by Sunny weather
- Weather boosted Pokemon have an IV floor of 4/4/4 and can be caught up to level 35
- In-game weather is affected by level 11 S2 cells, which means it is possible you have favorable weather in your vicinity
|Research Encounters||Level 15|
|Weather-boosted wild spawns||Levels 25-35|
Where Can You Encounter Trapinch?
- In the wild
- From special quests
- Not confirmed, but the community day Pokémon has been featured in raids in both August and September’s Ralts and Turtwig Community Days, respectively.
Trapinch Field Research
- Catch 3x Trapinch -> Trapinch encounter
- Catch 3x Trapinch -> 1x Golden Razzberry
Flygon evolved during Community Day will know the exclusive charge move Earth Power Ground. Earth Power outclasses Earthquake in raids and places Flygon as the fifth highest-performing Ground-type in the overall meta.
|Pokemon||Fast Move||Charge Move||DPS||TDO|
|Excadrill||Mud Slap||Drill Run||14.30||525.39|
|Flygon||Mud Shot||Earth Power||12.35||458.68|
As evident from the table above, Earth Power does improve Flygon’s performance dramatically – 17% more DPS and 30% better TDO – but it’s hardly enough to push him any higher. Rhyperior and Garchomp are still better on the TDO side, while Excadrill leads the charge in terms of DPS. As usual, Groudon reigns supreme with high DPS and strong TDO numbers to back it up.
Flygon in the Meta
Flygon in its current state makes for a viable Dragon-type attacker in gym battling, especially when on a tight budget of Revives/Potions. With its current move pool, it has a substantial place in the PvP meta in terms of Great/Ultra League battling as well.
As mentioned above, while Flygon does get a massive boost over a lot of B and C-tier Ground-types with Earth Power, it is still outclassed by Groudon first and foremost, with Rhyperior, Excadrill, and Garchomp ranking above it.
Community Day Box
Trapinch Community Day Box contains the following items:
- 30x Ultra Ball
- 2x Super Incubator
- 2x Star Piece
- 2x Lucky Egg
Unfortunately, the value is simply not there – we recommend buying these items separately if you need them. The Box is very expensive for what it contains and it doesn’t even give Lure Modules, which is a staple item for Community Days. If it was 3x each item + a Lure, it would be a fair deal.
What to Bring
- A good route! Every community day is different, and with boosted XP it is important to maximize your amount of catches. Best places to go are parks, large shopping centers, or just a place with many spawn points.
- If you’ll be walking a lot, water and good walking shoes! Don’t hurt yourself!
- BAG SPACE! This writer cannot stress enough the importance of clearing your bag out before a community day, especially when you want to catch as much as possible.
- The new search terms for 0*, 1*, 2*, 3*, and 4* are handy in this if you care about IVs, as they will search all Pokemon of that star rating rather quickly.
- Items! As stated above, lucky eggs, star pieces, super incubators, and raid passes are vital for this community day, and maximizing your rewards in terms of XP and Stardust. On top of that, don’t forget to stock up on BALLS AND BERRIES! Poké Balls are a must-have, especially for Go-Plus, PokéBall-Plus, or Gotcha users, however a healthy mix of Great/Ultra in there is good for ensuring shiny catches. Berry-wise, doing raids will help to get lots of Golden Razz Berries for the same purpose, and spin stops for Pinap Berries if you don’t already have enough Trapinch candy from its stint in 10km eggs.
- Maximized spawns! Make sure to bring plenty of lures to drop RIGHT AS community day starts, and Incense to maximize personal spawns of Pokémon as well, again towards the goal of maximizing total XP and Stardust.
Trapinch Community Day will see one of the most common 10km hatches from the Hoenn region get its time in the limelight shortly before the holiday season ramps up, and is potentially the last Hoenn Pokémon to have a community day, being the last 10km egg hatch to receive such an honor. This could be changed however with lines such as Spheal, Nincada, Shroomish, or Seedot, as at the time of writing their shinies have not been released in Pokemon GO.