February 2020 brings new Research Breakthrough encounters, Shadow Legendary Pokémon, new Shiny Pokémon, and debuting Legendary and non-Legendary Pokémon coming to Pokémon GO. February also features the Sinnoh region event and Valentine’s Day 2020 event, as well as some new types of events Niantic is testing.
Events coming this month:
- Save Shadow Raikou from Giovanni!
- February Research Breakthrough encounter: Woobat with bonus Woobat Candies!
- Tornadus zooms into five-star raids!
- A Sinnoh region celebration event
- Pokémon GO Valentine’s Day Celebration 2020
- Valentine’s Event raid day event featuring Lickitung
- Celebrate your love for friends with a special friendship weekend event
- New experiments: Pokémon Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour
Shadow Raikou available from Giovanni encounterRaikou
Shadow Raikou is Giovanni’s February featured Pokémon! Giovanni Special Research continues in February, and once more you have a chance to rescue a Legendary Shadow Pokémon. We’re quite confident that there will be a slight change in Giovanni’s Pokémon lineup, so stay tuned for our updated Giovanni counters guide.
Be on the lookout for new Team GO Rocket Special Research from Professor Willow every month, we’re just starting with the Legendary Beasts cycle.
February Research Breakthrough encounter: Woobat with bonus Woobat Candies!Woobat
- From Saturday, February 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m.
- To Sunday, March 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)
Woobat is making its Pokémon GO debut in February, bringing bonus candies along. You will be able to encounter it from Research Breakthrough encounters. Woobat evolves into Swoobat, both of which are Psychic type Pokémon. Swoobat could be an interesting addition to Great League teams.and
Tornadus in 5 Star RaidsTornadus (Incarnate)
- From Tuesday, February 4, 2020, at 1:00 p.m.
- To Tuesday, February 25, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)
Tornadus is another Pokémon that’s making its Pokémon GO debut in February. This Legendary Electric, Ice and Rock type attacks.type was first discovered in the Unova region and should be an interesting addition to the metagame. Currently, only the Incarnate form is available. Tornadus is weak to
Sinnoh region celebration event
- From Friday, February 7, 2020, at 8:00 a.m.
- To Monday, February 10, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time
- Pokémon originally discovered in the Sinnoh region will be appearing more often in the wild and in raids.
- All 7 km Eggs obtained during the event period will exclusively hatch certain Pokémon from the Sinnoh region, including Budew, Combee, Bronzor, Gible, Riolu, Hippopotas, and Mantyke.
- Event-specific Field Research tasks will reward you with encounters with Pokémon that were originally discovered in this beautiful region, as well as Sinnoh Stones.
- And last but not least, if you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Riolu or a Shiny Hippopotas!
Pokémon GO Valentine’s Day Celebration 2020
- From Friday, February 14, 2020, at 8:00 a.m.
- To Monday, February 17, 2020 at 10:00 p.m. local time
- Pink Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild, in raids, in Eggs, and as Field Research encounters.
- Audino, the Hearing Pokémon, and Alomomola, the Caring Pokémon, will be making their Pokémon GO debut!
- During this event, regular Lure Modules will last six hours and you’ll receive a 2× Catch Candy bonus.
- If you’re lucky, you might hatch a Shiny Happiny or encounter a Shiny Chansey in the wild!
Valentine’s Day 2020 Raid DayLickitung
- On Saturday, February 15, 2020, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time
- Lickitung will be in four-star raids and know Body Slam!
- You can receive up to five additional Raid Passes at no cost during the event by spinning Photo Discs at Gyms.
- You cannot hold more than one of these Raid Passes at once, and they will not be available after the event ends.
- Lucky Trainers might encounter Shiny Lickitung!
Special friendship weekend event
Show some love for your friends from Friday, February 21, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, February 24, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time with these exclusive bonuses:
- Friendship levels will increase faster
- 2x Trade Candy
- 1/2 Trade Stardust cost
- The number of Gifts you can open daily will increase to 40.
- The number of Gifts you can carry in your inventory will increase to 20.
New experimental events
Niantic has prepared two new experimental types of events that will be tested this February: Pokémon Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour:
- Pokémon Spotlight Hour will feature…a surprise Pokémon! All we’ll tell you is that it will appear more frequently in the wild on Tuesday, February 4, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time.
- Mystery Bonus Hour will feature—you guessed it—a mystery bonus! This unknown bonus will be live in the app on Thursday, February 6, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time.