Gym Badge experience is a metric of your reputation with a Pokémon GO gym. You need 500XP for Bronze, 4000XP for Silver and 30000XP for Gold variants of Badges.
This page details how to gain Gym Badge experience using several different methods.
Actions that reward Gym Badge Experience
|Defending a Gym||1XP||reward * minutes defending|
|Feeding a Berry||10XP||/|
|Deploying a Defender||100XP||/|
|Winning a Raid||1000XP||/|
|Winning a Battle||0.01XP||reward * defender CP|
|Lose a Battle||5XP||/|
One redditor named DrThod created a table that shows how these rewards compare to simply defending a Gym:
|Task||BXP||Equivalent days defending||How often needed to equal full day defence|
|Defending 1 day||1440||1||1|
|Gym with 6 defenders / 2500 CP each + placing Pokémon||435||0.302||3.3|
Gym Badge Experience farming
The tables above suggest the following:
- Attend Raids! Raids are overall the best mechanism to farm Badge XP, as it’s required to do 30 raids at a single Gym to gain a Golden Badge. This may seem like a lengthy process, and it surely is, but it’s still much faster than relying on Berry feeding alone
- Placing defenders in stagnant Gyms is an excellent strategy to gain Gym Badge XP, but your Coin gain will suffer, as you will likely amass more than 2-3 days worth of Time defending
- Attack Gyms, but do be aware that you will burn through your resources fast. Revives are your best friend for this option
- Deploy Pokémon, as it gives a solid 100XP
- Be vary of feeding, as it promotes stagnant Gyms and is the slowest overall method of leveling up your Gym badge. Berries are very slow and very inefficient, but they are an acceptable method in Gyms where you can’t place or which can’t be attacked.