Celebrate the Global launch of the Mega Evolution update with Mega Kangaskhan and a Mega Moment event! Trainers, Pokémon GO’s Mega Evolution update is now live globally. To celebrate this update, a new Special Research story, event, and Mega Raid will be available!
A Mega Moment Event
- Friday, April 29, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. local time to Sunday, May 1, 2022, at 8:00 p.m. local
- Mega Kangaskhan available in Mega Raids
- Mega Kangaskhan Raid Day on May 1, 2022
- Mega-Evolved Pokémon will receive a CP boost.
- Field Research tasks grant Mega Energy
- Pokémon with Evolutions that can Mega Evolve in Pokémon GO will be appearing more frequently in the wild
From Friday, April 29, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. local time to Sunday, May 1, 2022, at 8:00 p.m. local time Mega Kangaskhan enters the fray. For the first time, Mega Kangaskhan will be appearing in Mega Raids!
Mega Kangaskhan Raid Day
On Sunday, May 1, 2022, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. local time Mega Kangaskhan will be appearing more frequently in Mega Raids during this time!
- You can receive up to five free Raid Passes from spinning Gym Photo Discs during the event and up to two hours afterward.
- You’ll have an increased chance of encountering Shiny Kangaskhan.
After a Mega Raid you have the chance to catch the original version of the Pokémon, not the Mega, but here you can see how the shiny sprites look for both Kangaskhan, and Mega Kangaskhan.
|Kangaskhan Sprite||Shiny Kangaskhan Sprite|
|Mega Kangaskhan Sprite||Shiny Mega Kangaskhan Sprite|
Pokémon with Evolutions that can Mega Evolve in Pokémon GO will be appearing more frequently in the wild:
If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
Field Research Rewards
Event-themed Field Research tasks will be available! Complete the tasks to receive a random reward of Mega Energy for any of the Pokémon capable of Mega Evolution currently available in Pokémon GO!*
* Kangaskhan Mega Energy will only be available by completing Mega Raids against Mega Kangaskhan.
A new Special Research story with branching tasks is available to Trainers level 5 and up! Choose Venusaur, Charizard or Blastoise, and try out Mega Evolution for yourself.
- By choosing Venusaur, you’ll be able to earn Venusaur Mega Energy and encounter Venusaur later!
- By choosing Charizard, you’ll be able to earn Charizard Mega Energy and encounter Charizard later!
- By choosing Blastoise, you’ll be able to earn Blastoise Mega Energy and encounter Blastoise later!
Pokémon GO’s Mega Update
Check out this video for a quick overview of all the changes, the summary list below or check out our in-depth article: Complete Guide to the Updated Mega Evolution System.
Pokémon GO Mega Evolution updates:
- Most Mega Raids will now be easier, with some being soloable
- Mega evolving your Pokémon gains points towards your Mega Mastery level with that Pokémon
- Pokémon can Mega evolve for free, but the Mega evolution process invokes a cooldown for that Pokémon
- Mega Energy can be used to reduce the Mega evolution cooldown
- Higher Mega Mastery level leads to shorter Mega evolution cooldown
- Higher Mega Mastery level grants increased bonuses with each level while the Pokémon is Mega Evolved
- Trainers can Mega evolve from the Raid and Battle preparation screens
Dev Diaries: Mega Evolution and Mega Raid Updates
In case you missed it, Niantic’s latest Dev Diary featured Ibe Owunwanne, a Pokémon GO product manager. Take a look to learn their thoughts on what went into this update.