Trainers! As we all carry on with the ever thrilling task of catching Pokémon and be the best like no one ever was, it is worth taking a breather and acknowledging the environment around us. After all, most of our catches are wild Pokémon and if one doesn’t strive towards a sustainable environment, how would you expect to catch healthy and happy wild Pokémon with good IVs and/or CP? 🙂
From April 20 to April 25, Niantic presents you with an opportunity to make your surroundings and the environment a better place for both yourself and Pokémon to live in! Expect loads of in-game rewards through sustainability challenges, a new Pokémon, a new shiny and endless excitement! Let’s go!
What is Sustainability?
Sustainability is all about avoiding the depletion of our natural resources such as water, air, oil, soil, sunlight, coal and minerals, by meeting our own needs responsibly while also safeguarding these resources for future generations.
Earth is our home and there are enough resources for all of us, including the animal and plant kingdom. However, it is important to not overuse these invaluable resources, utilise them judiciously and ensure that there’s no scarcity for the future. Ultimately, it is also about also protecting the source of these resources: Earth.
Sustainability can only be achieved through a combined effort. After all, this beautiful planet belongs to all of us!
With the wide expanse and reach of Niantic (not limited to Pokémon Go), you can work alongside trainers from Pokémon Go and players of other Niantic games to unlock special in-game rewards that you can achieve by participating in the Niantic Sustainability Campaign in the real world!
Expect the following rewards on Sunday, April 25, 2021, from 10 AM to 8 PM local time:
- Tier 1 (2,500 activations): Five-star raids will appear more often.
- Tier 2 (5,000 activations): A free bundle containing three Remote Raid Passes will be available in the shop. The rewards from Tier 1 will remain active.
- Tier 3 (10,000 activations): A 2× Catch XP bonus will be live. The rewards from Tiers 1 and 2 will remain active.
How To Achieve These Activations?
From April 20th @ 18:00 UTC to April 23rd @ 23:59 UTC, record your sustainability actions and share them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram using the hashtag #SustainableWithNiantic and tag @NianticLabs!
Players can unlock 3 tiers of in-game rewards by doing one of the following:
Take Care of Your Community
It is important that each one of us feels empowered to take care of our neighbourhoods and the public spaces available to us. Here are some ideas for how to have a positive impact on your community:
- Plant a tree, shrub or native plants: If you have space at home or permission to plant in a local public space, talk to a local expert to find out what plants are most suitable for the environment you live in.
- Get outside and pick up trash: Pull-on some gloves and a face mask, grab a bucket or reusable bag to collect trash, and even a trash picker if you have one.
- Build a bee hotel: Research how to safely encourage pollinators to visit your yard or the green spaces around you.
Adopt A New Sustainability Practice
Each of us can make changes in our daily lives that collectively can have a huge impact on our planet. We encourage you to look at your daily habits and adopt one new sustainable habit. Some examples include:
- Commute Sustainably: Ride your bike or walk to where you’re going.
- Become a DIY Expert: Learn how to fix something that you were going to throw out rather than buying something new.
- Choose Reusable over Disposable: Eliminate one single-use product from your life and replace it with something that will last a long time such as reusable shopping bags or water bottles.
Help Out a Local Cause Focused on Sustainability
There are organizations all over the world that are doing amazing things to help our planet. From cleanups to planting trees, removing invasive species to raising awareness, find a cause that speaks to you and volunteer or donate to a local organization making a change in your community.
- Support a Local Cause: Research organizations focused on protecting the environment near you to learn how you can help.
- Volunteer Your Time: Research ways that you can get involved with a cause you care about – there are often ways to help without leaving your home.
- Learn About Your Local Environment: Find out more about the environmental issues affecting your neighbourhood and region, then take action!
Date and Time of the Event
Marks your calendars for 6 amazing days of sustainability in Pokémon Go!
- Starts: Tuesday, April 20, 2021, at 10:00 AM local time
- Ends: Sunday, April 25, 2021, at 8:00 PM local time
Some Pokémon unexpectedly end up being ‘not-so-sustainable’. Not their fault at all but this is your opportunity to show these Pokémon how they can contribute towards the betterment of the environment! So let’s catch ’em and show them the way!
*denotes the possibility of being shiny
Did you see that?
We have a…
Put your shiny charm to test! If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Trubbish!
New Pokémon Alert!
Trainers! Binacle, the Two-Handed Pokémon is making its debut, is eager to give you a couple of high-fives and join your team!Binacle
5 km Egg Hatches
Look forward to collecting 5 km eggs and hatching the following Pokémon:
The following sustainability-themed Pokémon will be taking over raids as bosses
5-Star Raid Boss
Landorus-Therian, the Abundance Pokémon, is the perfect legendary raid boss to grace 5-star raids during the Sustainability Week in Pokémon Go. Dont’s miss the opportunity to catch this powerful Ground type.Landorus (Therian)
Mega Raid Bosses
The following will be the Mega raid bosses during the event:
Field Research: Tasks and Rewards
The Sustainability Week will feature special timed research from Tuesday, April 20th, at 10 AM to Sunday, April 25th, at 8 PM local time. The tasks and rewards are as follows:
- Use 5 Berries to help catch Pokémon – Oddish encounter
- Catch 7 Water-type Pokémon – Goldeen encounter
- Catch 7 Pokémon with Weather Boost– Bellsprout encounter
Rewards: 1000 XP, 20 Mega Venusaur Energy, Turtwig encounter
- Use 5 Berries to help catch Pokémon – Tangela encounter
- Catch 5 different species of Grass-type Pokémon – Ferroseed encounter
- Send 5 Gifts to friends – Phanpy encounter
Rewards: 1500 XP, 20 Mega Venusaur Energy, Grotle encounter
- Use 7 Berries to help catch Pokémon – Cherrim (Sunny) encounter
- Catch 40 Grass-type Pokémon – Alolan Diglett encounter
- Use an Incense – Binacle encounter
Rewards: 2500 XP, 60 Mega Venusaur Energy, Venusaur encounter
Bonus Rewards and Opportunities!
If you think that is all, then you got another thing coming! You can enjoy the folloeijg bonuses and opportunities from the Sustainability Week:
- Complete event-exclusive Field Research to earn encounters with Cottonee, Chespin, Binacle, and more1
- There will also be event-exclusive Timed Research for you to enjoy!
- A FREE Sustainability Week T-shirt avatar item will be available in the shop!
This is undoubtedly one of the most exciting events in Pokémon Go!
It presents a wonderful way to make trainers of all ages more aware of the importance of sustainability in life. Environmental issues like global warming, pollution and climate change are real, and efforts like the tasks in the Sustainability Week go a long way in improving the conditions and making our home a truly wonderful place to live in, for us and the future!
Let’s join hands and combine our efforts for Mother Earth in our one sweet ways!