Pokémon GO’s month of August is going to be action packed, despite COVID-19 and the raising temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere. Here are the events that are coming throughout this sunny summer month.
August Research Breakthrough encounter
From Saturday, August 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, September 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), Scraggy, the Shedding Pokémon, will be available as a Research Breakthrough encounter.
Magikarp Community Day
We already shared that Pokémon GO August Community Day features Magikarp, but here’s a quick reminder:
- Saturday, August 8, 2020, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time
- Magikarp will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny Magikarp.
- Evolve Magikarp during the event or up to two hours afterward to get a Gyarados that knows Aqua Tail.
- Complete event-exclusive Field Research tasks to earn additional Magikarp Candies.
- For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Community Day–exclusive Special Research story Making a Splash! Follow Professor Willow as he learns about Magikarp and its epic Evolution journey!
Pokémon Spotlight Hours
In the month of August, Pokémon Spotlight Hour will take place every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. local time, and each hour will spotlight a different Pokémon and special bonus!
- Tuesday, August 4, 2020: Horsea will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for catching Pokémon.
- Tuesday, August 11, 2020: Sableye will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for transferring Pokémon.
- Tuesday, August 18, 2020: Venipede will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for evolving Pokémon.
- Tuesday, August 25, 2020: Geodude will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
GO Fest Ultra Unlock is coming!
Thank you, Pokémon GO Fest 2020 attendees, for completing this year’s challenges! Not only did you end Team GO Rocket’s take-over of the event, but you also earned this year’s Ultra Unlock bonus.
Here’s what you can expect for each Ultra Unlock week.
Dragon Week will run from Friday, July 31, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The majestic Dragon-type Pokémon come in all shapes and sizes, from the tiny Gible to the towering Alolan Exeggutor, and this week will be their time to shine!
- Rayquaza will be in five-star raids, and there will also be special Timed Research available only this week.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Deino!
Enigma Week will run from Friday, August 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT to Friday, August 14, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The featured Pokémon range from the mysterious Elgyem to the powerful Deoxys!
- Deoxys will be in five-star raids, and if you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!
- You might also encounter a Shiny Staryu.
Unova Week will run from Friday, August 14, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, August 21, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
Sewaddle, Cottonee, Emolga, and Bouffalant—all originally discovered in the Unova region—will be appearing in the world of Pokémon GO for the first time!
- Bouffalant will be appearing in New York City and the surrounding areas.
- Genesect will be in five-star raids, and if you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!
- You might also encounter a Shiny Roggenrola.
New shiny Pokemon throughout the month
Six new shiny Pokémon are being released this month, so keep an eye on these additions to your shiny collection: