Believe it or not, a lot has happened since this morning’s 0.97.2 data mine. Niantic has shared a developer insight post, the update has landed on iOS and Pokémon GO has skyrocketed to #1 top grossing app in Google’s Play Store (Adventure category).
Let’s dive in!
Developer insights: “How We Built the Research Feature”
Niantic is really proud about the Research (Quests) system and they’re not afraid to show it. In a lengthy Developer Insights post they shared the following:
- The new system should accommodate nearly any exploration style, from solo players to groups, from beginners to advanced players
- Many quests will focus on skill and execution rather than depending on random chances (for example score three Great Throws in arow)
- The feature should make the game more replayable and provide a fresh set of challenges on a continuous basis
- More difficult quests will grant better rewards or even opportunities to encounter an elusive Pokémon
- Some quests will be themed, for example a task involving catchin a set number of Fire types could lead to an encounter with a powerful Fire-type Pokémon
- Field Research tasks vary in difficulty and time required. Some quests can be completed in 15-30 minutes, while some may take a whole day to finish
You can read the whole article on the official Pokémon GO website.
Update goes live on iOS devices
This was an unexpected one: the latest update (1.67.1) is already live on iOS devices, which is quite unusual, as Android is usually the platform that gets the updates first. In any case, there are only a few things that need to happen before the feature goes live:
- 0.97.2 has to become available on Google’s Play store
- 0.97.2 / 1.67.1 has to be forced in order for everyone to be on the same page
- Niantic needs to flip a switch on their end
Who knows, maybe we’ll even see the feature go live before friday? It’s not unusual and it has happened before with the weather update, so everything is possible. If you’re on Android and you don’t want to wait for an official download, feel free to download the latest APK on APK Mirror (verified safe by our team, it won’t bite back).
Huge shout out to Alan for letting us know that the iOS update is live:
— Alan Troy Scott 🎤 (@ItsAlanTroy) March 28, 2018
Pokémon GO earnings skyrockets on Google’s Play Store
Although many have dubbed the recent sale as a pure “cash grab” due to Super Incubators being sold during a 2KM egg event, it seems that Niantic’s Marketing and Sale departments know what they’re doing.
As of today, Pokémon GO is top grossing mobile app on Google’s Play Store, at least in the Adventure Games category. This is more or less a worldwide number one spot. According to App Annie, the game is also the top overall grossing app in the United States, Belgium, United Kingdom, Portugal, Peru, Austria, Netherlands, Chile, Canada and Germany.