Pokémon GO’s GBL Season 5 begins on November 9, at 1:00 p.m. (GMT-8). As with Season 4, Season 5 will only be shorter then previous seasons at three weeks long and will not use ratings for rank progression. Season 5 will also feature three new cups, the Little Cup, the Kanto Cup, and the Catch Cup.
Let’s dive into what’s new and what’s staying in Season 5, the new Cups, and everything else you need to know about Go Battle League Season 5.
What’s staying in Season 5
- There will not be a walking requirement in order to battle in the GO Battle League.
- The Friendship level requirement for battling remotely will remain at Good Friends throughout Season 5. Remember that you can scan another Trainer’s QR Code to battle them, no matter where they are.
- The avatar items inspired by Pikachu Libre will continue to be rank 7 rewards.
- You can still encounter Pikachu Libre once you’ve reached rank 10.
- The end-of-season rewards will be similar to those in Season 4.
- Stardust from rank 1 to rank 3.
- Stardust, TMs, and a Premium Battle Pass from rank 4 to rank 10
What’s New in Season 5
- Starting at rank 7, you’ll have a chance to encounter Legendary Pokémon on the GO Battle League rewards tracks. These Legendary Pokémon will be the same as those appearing concurrently in five-star raids. The rest of the Pokémon you can encounter on the rewards tracks will remain unchanged from Season 4. Please note that encounters with Legendary Pokémon on the rewards tracks will be available in the GO Battle League only during Season 5.
- If you finish Season 5 at rank 7 or higher, you’ll receive an Elite Fast TM rather than an Elite Charged TM.
- Rank progression during this season will be based on effort rather than ratings.
- To reach rank 2, you must complete a certain number of battles.
- To reach ranks 3 through 10, you must win a certain number of battles.
The Season 5 Cups
The Little Cup
Dates: Monday, November 9, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, November 16, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8).
- Only Pokémon that are able to evolve and have not evolved even once are eligible.
- The CP limit is 500.
The Kanto Cup
Dates: Monday, November 16, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, November 23, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8).
- Only Pokémon with a Pokédex number between #001 and #151 are eligible.
- The CP limit is 1,500.
The Catch Cup
Dates: Monday, November 23, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, November 30, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8).
- Only Pokémon that have been caught since the beginning of Season 5 are eligible.
- The CP limit is 1,500.
- Mythical Pokémon—such as Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Victini—are not eligible for the Catch Cup.
New and Updated Moves
The following new attack will be added to Pokémon GO:
New move: Incinerate
New Learn sets: Flame Charge
The following Pokémon can learn an attack it couldn’t before.
Updated Move: Poison Sting
The Poison-type Fast Attack Poison Sting will now generate more energy, allowing Pokémon like Vespiquen, Drapion, and Whirlipede to use their Charged Attacks more frequently.