Niantic has announced all of the features coming in the Pokémon GO Gym and Pokémon GO Raid update. Surprisingly, the update contains an enormous amount of information and new features, so we’re breaking it down into subsections.
This page details all publicly available info about the new Gym Update, Motivation System and Pokémon GO Gym Raids.
Gym and Raid Guides: everything that changed
Links leads to separate guide pages:
Summary of gym and raid update
- Gyms can now be spinned for item rewards, similar to PokéStops
- Gyms will now feature six permanent slots that can be filled by the controlling team’s Pokémon, and opposing teams will battle Pokémon in the order they were assigned to the Gym.
- Trainers will receive Gym Badges are rewards for fighting at the Gym
- Gym Defenders will lose motivation over time and when being defeated
- Gym Defenders require Berry upkeep
- Trainers will have the opportunity to virtually team up with others nearby and work together to defeat extremely powerful Pokémon known as Raid Bosses.
- Before a Raid Battle begins, all Pokémon assigned to the Gym will return to their Trainers, and a large Egg will appear atop the Gym. When the countdown above the Egg reaches zero, the Raid Boss will be revealed.
- Raid Boss rewards include: Rare Candies, Golden Razz Berries, and two types of Technical Machines—Fast and Charged
- Raids have a 20 Player Limit and 5 Minute timer
- Friends can also create Private Raid groups via a customizable code system that allows Trainers to invite their friends to a specific Raid group.
- Technical Machines are items you can use to permanently teach a Pokémon a new Fast Attack or Charged Attack.
Gym Interaction Video
The video was shared inside the Pokémon GO press kit.