Piplup will be debuting as the first community day Pokemon of 2020 on January 19th. As usual for all community days thus far, its shiny form will be released, and Prinplup evolved during the community day hours in your region (and an hour after) will know the charge move Hydro Cannon.
In this guide, we detail everything you need to know about Piplup, the Penguin Pokémon, leading up to your Community Day, including perfect catch CP, weather influence, catching tips and more.
|Community Day Pokémon||Piplup|
|Date and Time||
|Exclusive Move||Hydro Cannon Water|
Shiny Piplup, Prinplup, and Empoleon will be released during January Community Day:
Piplup is a Water type Pokémon boosted by Rainy weather. A Perfect level 30 Piplup has 921 CP, while a perfect weather boosted Piplup has 998 CP at level 35.
Below is a handy table with all possible perfect IV Piplup CP values:
In order to be ready for Piplup Community Day, we suggest to bring the following items as a good preparation for the event:
- 6 Star Pieces
- 6 Lucky Eggs
- 150 – 250 Pinap Berries
- 300 Poké Balls (mixed, but Great and Ultra are always welcomed)
- 6 Incense
- Lure Modules
- Infinite/3-use/Super Incubators
Regardless of the Community Day bonus, it is always a good idea to maximize on XP gain and bring some Lucky Eggs. While XP gain is not boosted during the 3-hour window, Piplup is a rather easy catch, especially at lower CP values. Plenty of PokéBalls and berries are necessary for accomplishing this task, and we here at GO Hub recommend a healthy mix of the three types; Standard, Great, and Ultra.
Even more necessary is the use of Star Pieces. Catching all Pokémon for XP is one thing, but Stardust is far more of an important resource overall and should be a priority. Kill two birds with one stone, and turn on a Star Piece for 150 Stardust per catch.
The spotlight of this Community Day’s bonuses is the 1/4 Egg Hatch Distance, which will result in hatching eggs much faster and adding to the abundance of XP and Stardust given the Lucky Eggs and Star Pieces. Below is a handy table to know when you’ll be hatching what egg, with what incubator!
|Egg Type||2 km||5 km||7 km||10 km|
|Regular Incubator||0.50 km||1.25 km||1.75 km||2.50 km|
|Super Incubator||0.33 km||0.83 km||1.17 km||1.67 km|
As you can see, the best practice is to clean out your incubators prior to Community Day, and if you have Super Incubators, try to net rarer Pokémon from 10 KM eggs at only 1.67 KM!
Reminder: It is best to set timers on your phone to remember the next Lucky Egg or Star Piece!
- Piplup is boosted by Rainy weather.
- Weather boosted Pokémon have an IV floor of 4/4/4 and can be caught up to level 35.
- In-game weather is affected by level 11 S2 cells, which means it is possible you have favorable weather in your vicinity.
|Research Encounters||Level 15|
|Weather-boosted wild spawns||Levels 25-35|
Where Can You Encounter Piplup?
- In the wild
- In 2km eggs
- In Tier 1 raids
Piplup Field Research
The rewards for the task “Catch 3 Piplup” are as follows:
- Piplup encounter (CP range 426-460)
- 1x Golden Razz Berry
- 500 Stardust
- 5 Great Balls
- 2 Ultra Balls
- 2 Pinap Berries
Exclusive Move: Hydro Cannon
Piplup evolved during Community Day will know the exclusive charge move Hydro Cannon Water. Hydro Cannon has proved to be a less-than dominant Water-type move, compared to Hydro Pump especially.
Below is a table of Water-type Pokémon with similar STAB movesets to Empoleon with Waterfall Water and Hydro Cannon Water.*
|Pokémon||Fast Move||Charge Move||DPS||TDO|
|Palkia||Dragon Tail||Hydro Pump||17.89||831.78|
|Swampert||Water Gun||Hydro Cannon||16.10||727.26|
*Table is sorted by highest DPS to lowest DPS, as this is perhaps the most important stat in the current raid and gym battling meta game.
Palkia is leaps and bounds above Empoleon with Hydro Cannon, sporting 18% more DPS, while other Pokemon such as Kyogre and Kingler bridge the gap at 16.32 and 16.30 DPS respectively. Empoleon ranks at the bottom of STAB-based Water-type movesets in terms of DPS, and in TDO outmatches Kingler but ultimately does not stand up to a 10% higher DPS.
Community Day Box
Piplup Community Day Box costs 480 PokéCoins and includes:
- x30 Ultra Ball
- x3 Super Incubator
- x1 Incense
- x1 Lure Module
It is in this author’s opinion that the Adventure Box is a better fit for this Community Day, sporting plenty of incubators and lures to keep going on the 1/4 hatch distance and four lucky eggs to last you through two-thirds of the event.
What to Bring
- A good route! Every community day is different, and with 1/4 egg hatch distance it is important to maximize your total eggs hatched. The best places to go are parks, large shopping centers, or just a place with many spawn points and safe walkways!
- If you’ll be walking a lot, water and good walking shoes! Don’t hurt yourself!
- BAG SPACE! This writer cannot stress enough the importance of clearing your bag out before a community day, especially when you want to catch as much as possible.
- The new search terms for 0*, 1*, 2*, 3*, and 4* are handy in this if you care about IVs, as they will search all Pokémon of that star rating rather quickly.
- Items! As stated above, lucky eggs, star pieces, super incubators, and raid passes are vital for this community day, and maximizing your rewards in terms of XP and Stardust. On top of that, don’t forget to stock up on BALLS AND BERRIES! Poké Balls are a must-have, especially for Go-Plus, PokéBall-Plus, or Gotcha users, however a healthy mix of Great/Ultra in there is good for ensuring shiny catches. Berry-wise, doing raids will help to get lots of Golden Razz Berries for the same purpose, and spin stops for Pinap Berries if you don’t already have enough Piplup candy.
- Maximized spawns! Make sure to bring plenty of lures to drop RIGHT AS community day starts, and Incense to maximize personal spawns of Pokémon as well, again towards the goal of maximizing total XP and Stardust.
Piplup Community Day rounds out the Sinnoh starters, meaning that, if the trend continues, March will bring us Snivy Community Day, debuting a starter while the Unova rollout is still ongoing at the time of writing. February is a toss-up as to what Pokemon will take the spotlight, with not many possible candidates in Generation IV after Gible’s shiny was released in December 2019.
As always, remember to stay safe and be aware of your surroundings during community day.