Generation V, Jirachi special research, shiny Mewtwo, shiny Kanto regional Pokemon and more is coming to Pokemon GO this September! Niantic has just shared the details of this summer’s Pokemon GO Ultra Unlock challenge rewards and managed to unleash a massive hype train upon the world of Pokemon Trainers! From exclusive moves to new Pokemon and new shinnies, we must say it was worth it to defeat all three research challenges. Let’s dive in!
Jirachi Has Awoken!Jirachi
We’re excited to announce that Jirachi is now available for all Trainers via Special Research! For those who have already completed the exclusive Pokémon GO Fest Special Research and have caught the Wish Pokémon, completing this new Special Research will earn you Candy to power up your Jirachi. Last but not least, a new Jirachi T-shirt will be available in the Style Shop. It’ll look stellar to wear it with Jirachi as your Buddy Pokémon!
- Jirachi T-shirt is only available after you complete the A Thousand-Year Slumber quest. The quest is not the same as it was on GO Fests.
Week #1: Unown, Shiny Sentret and Shiny Gligar, Johto beasts in raids
Week 1 of Ultra Unlock rewards feature Generation II Pokemon, Unown, Johto Legendary Beasts and two new shiny Pokemon. The 10 KM egg tier for Unown makes it a hard hatch, but with the double Incubator efficiency, it shouldn’t be impossible.
Date + Time September 2, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT
Trainers can enjoy a chance to work on their Johto Pokédex while exploring and raiding. Put on your walking shoes, as Pokémon never before seen in Eggs in Pokémon GO will be hatching during this time.
- If you’re extraordinarily lucky, you might hatch Unown forms U, L, T, R, and A from 10 km Eggs.
- Raikou, Entei, and Suicune will return to raids, along with other Johto Pokémon.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter Shiny Sentret and Shiny Gligar!
- 2× Incubator effectiveness during this period
Week #2: Shiny Kanto regionals, Deoxys in T5 raids
Week 1 of Ultra Unlock rewards feature Generation I Pokemon, Gen 1 Regionals and Deoxys, who will be making it’s first appearance outside of EX Raids.
September 9, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT
Pokémon from across the globe will join in the celebration this week, along with a special appearance by a Mythical Pokémon that will be available to challenge in raids.
- Regional Pokémon Farfetch’d, Kangaskhan, Mr. Mime, and Tauros will hatch from 7 km Eggs. If you’re lucky, you might hatch Shiny ones! These Pokémon will remain available from Eggs until the end of week 3—September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT.
No information has been shared on the hatch rates of these Pokemon, but we expect that they won’t be as common as we’d like them to be.
- All Deoxys forms will make their first appearances outside EX Raids.
- Need a good team to take on Deoxys? Other Pokémon appearing in raids will help you build a good team to challenge the DNA Pokémon.
- 2× Incubator effectiveness during this period
Deoxys will be available as a Tier 5 raid boss, with some forms being way easier than others – just as we remember it from the EX Raiding tier. We look forward to filling up the missed Forms in our PokeDex!
Week 3: Generation V and shiny Mewtwo with Psystrike
Week3 of Ultra Unlock rewards feature Generation V Pokemon and shiny Mewtwo, which makes it’s debut in Pokemon GO. Mewtwo will be able to have the exclusive move Psystrike which (currently) doesn’t seem to be a game changer, but rather a novelty addition to its already excellent move pool.
September 16, 2019, at 1 p.m. to September 23, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT
All your research has paid off! Professor Willow has informed us that some Pokémon originally discovered in the Unova region are now appearing in the world of Pokémon GO!
- Mewtwo with the special move Psystrike will be available to challenge in five-star raids. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Mewtwo!
- Need a good team to take on Mewtwo? Other Pokémon appearing in raids will help you build a good team to challenge the Genetic Pokémon.
- The Gear Pokémon Klink, originally discovered in Unova, will also appear in raids. You might even encounter a Shiny Klink!
- You may also find Shiny Patrat and Shiny Lillipup!
There is no indication which Generation V Pokemon will be released at start, or if all of them will be coming out at once. We strongly recommend that you read our Pokemon GO Gen 5 Meta (Early Look, Part 1): Non-Legendary Pokemon With Meta Potential.
Niantic’s decision to go full transparently on the Unova release in Pokemon GO makes us think that there’s a lot in store for the rest of Generation V. Shiny Mewtwo, shiny regionals and several Unown letters are a nice closure to Generation 1 and a solid step forward to closing Generation II as well.
Although it may not always feel like it, Pokemon GO is definitely in a good place. The staged shiny releases have created a completely new meta game, the recent introduction of Pokemon GO Trainer Battles to Worlds is also a major step forward for the game. If you have friends that dropped off sometimes in 2017 and 2018, make sure you let them know about the recent additions to the game. They will be excited to see some old familiar faces in a completely new color scheme!