Pokémon GO’s Water Festival returns for 2022 and brings the debuts of Lapras wearing a scarf, Dewpider, Araquanid, Tapu Fini and shiny Binacle. Water Festival 2022 lasts from May 12, 2022 to May 20, 2022 and focuses on Water types.
Water Festival 2022 lasts from May 12, 2022 to May 20, 2022, and players can earn double Candy and increased Candy XL from hatching Eggs during the event. Be sure to enjoy increased duration of Rainy Modules, increased Water-type spawns, special 7 KM eggs, a global challenge available to all Trainers and an exclusive free Poni Adventure Special Research .
All of the Pokémon featured in this event are viable for Trainer Battles: Tapu Fini in Pokémon GO PvP Battles | Under The Lights: Araquanid and Dewpider in PvP | Barbaracle in Pokémon GO Trainer Battles.
Date & Time
- Debut of Lapras w/ scarf, Dewpider/Araquanid, and Tapu Fini
- Debut of shiny Binacle family
- Poni Island Special Research available May 10, 10 am local time
- Timed Research and Global Challenge
- 2x Candy from hatching Eggs
- Increased Candy XL from hatching Eggs
- Event Exclusive 7 km eggs and Field Research
- Rainy Lure Modules activated during the event will last for 2 hours
- New avatar items - Water Festival Scarf
The Legendary Pokémon Tapu Fini, guardian deity of Poni Island, will be appearing in raids! Be sure to read our Tapu Fini Raid Guide for more information on countering it. For players looking at Tapu Fini in PvP, JRE posted an in-depth analysis of Tapu Fini in Pokémon GO PvP Battles.
Dewpider and Araquanid are going to become a main-stay in Trainer Battles, but that’s a topic for another article: Under The Lights: Araquanid and Dewpider in PvP
Lapras wearing a scarf, Dewpider, and Araquanid make their debuts in Pokémon GO! You can use 50 Dewpider Candy to evolve Dewpider into Araquanid. That’s right, ‘Drip Lapras’ as they have become affectionately known on social media, is finally coming to Pokémon GO.
For the first time in Pokémon GO, you’ll be able to encounter Shiny Binacle! This horrifying Water type is a bright green and pink, easy to spot compared to the non-shiny.
|Shiny Binacle||Shiny Barbaracle|
Shiny Binacle has also been a confirmed catch in-game, alongside shiny scarf Lapras:
Field Research Task Encounters
The following Pokémon will be available to encounter when you complete Field Research tasks:
|Catch 5 Pokemon|
|Catch 5 Magikarp or Wailmer||Luvdisc|
|Catch 10 Water-type Pokemon||Binacle|
|Catch 15 Pokemon||Dewpider|
|Hatch an egg||Carvanha|
|Catch 25 Pokemon||Lapras Scarf costume|
|Evolve 2 Water-type Pokemon||Marill|
|Catch 10 Water-type Pokemon||
|Catch 5 Water-type Pokemon||
Poni Island Special Research Tasks and Rewards
The Season of Alola’s fourth Special Research story will be available on Tuesday, May 10, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. local time.
Step 1 of 4
- Catch 10 Pokemon – 10 Poke Balls
- Power up Pokemon 5 times – 5 Razz Berries
- Defeat 2 Team Go Rocket Grunts – 3 Potions
Rewards: Alolan Raticate encounter, 500 XP, and 500 Stardust
Step 2 of 4
- Catch 3 Water-type Pokemon – Tentacruel encounter
- Take a snapshot of a Water-type Pokemon – Wailmer encounter
- Use 5 Berries to help catch Pokemon – Wingull encounter
Rewards: 1 Fast TM, 500 XP, and 500 Stardust
Step 3 of 4
- Walk 2km – Miltank encounter
- Catch 15 Pokemon – 10 Great Balls
- Spin 5 PokeStops or Gyms – Stufful encounter
Rewards: 1 Premium Battle Pass, 1000 XP, and 1000 Stardust
Step 4 of 4
- Send 5 Gifts to friends – 10 Great Balls
- Catch 15 Pokemon – 7 Pinap Berries
- Win a Raid – Alolan Exeggutor encounter
Rewards: 15 Ultra Balls, 8000 XP, and 3000 Stardust
Timed Research focused on catching Pokémon will be available throughout the event!
Complete the research to earn 50 Gyarados Mega Energy, 1,000 XP, 1,000 Stardust, and encounters with Lapras wearing a scarf and Dewpider.
- Catch 15 Pokemon – 25 Poke balls
- Catch 50 Pokemon – 25 Great balls
- Catch 25 Water-type Pokemon – 35 Ultra balls
- Make 25 Curveball Throws – Dewpider
- Catch 10 different species of Pokemon – 50 Gyarados Mega Energy
Rewards: Lapras w/ scarf, 1,000 Stardust, 1,000 XP
The following Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild:
If you’re lucky, you might encounter the following:
If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
The following Pokémon will be appearing in raids during the Pokémon GO Water Festival 2022:
The following Pokémon will hatch from 7 km Eggs:
Available from Wednesday, May 11, 2022, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT –7), to Saturday, May 21, 2022, at 1:00 a.m. PDT (GMT –7) a Global Challenge will be happening throughout the Water Festival event!
Work with other Trainers around the world to catch a wave of Water-type Pokémon to earn a bonus for everyone!
- Global Challenge: Catch 600,000,000 Water type Pokémon
- Global Challenge bonus reward: 2× Candy for catching Pokémon
New avatar items
Celebrate the Water Festival with wonderful new avatar items! You can snag them from the in-game shop during the event—but don’t worry, they’ll be available after the event ends, too!
Tips and Tricks
- Mega Evolve Blastoise, Slowbro, or Gyarados while playing Water Festival to get more Candy from Water types you catch over the next few days. Higher level Mega Pokémon can give you XL candy and extra 50 XP
- You certainly want to collect at least one good Araquanid for the Great League. Araquanid has a unique Water Bug typing, excellent bulky stats for PvP and does wonders in the GL meta
- Don’t sleep on Tapu Fini, it’s a strong PvP contender and there’s a high chance folks will not spend the time and resources needed to get a strong one. Be ahead of the curve.
- Shiny Binacle is great.
Related articles: Tapu Fini Raid Guide ● Tapu Fini in Pokémon GO PvP Battles ● Under The Lights: Araquanid and Dewpider in PvP ● Barbaracle in Pokémon GO Trainer Battles ● Ultimate XL Candy Guide ● Best PvP candidates to farm Candy XL ● Best PvE candidates to farm Candy XL