Updated: Niantic Support has confirmed that it will be possible to change your email address once you connect to a new email address! — March 16, 2018
Trainers, Niantic has shared that you’ll soon be able to link your Pokémon GO account to your Facebook account, making it much easier to login, track progress across different devices and (finally) ensure that losing your university / work mail address doesn’t lock you out of Pokémon GO completely.
The original Niantic’s post is quite cheerful and you can read it here, but we’ve prepared a condensed version of everything you need to know:
- You will be able to link your Trainer profile to Facebook and Google accounts
- After linking them, any method of login will work (applies for PTC and Google Trainers)
- The feature is limited to Trainers aged 13 and more
- You can change your email address once you link a new one — source
- The feature will begin rolling out soon. It’s not clear if it requires an app update
Although this feature is considered to be mostly a technical issue, many trainers have expressed their concerns about potentially losing their accounts after losing access to their PTC or Google mail.
We often forget that many universities use Google Apps as an e-mail provider and they quite frequently purge their old LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) entries, resulting in lost account access and headaches for their ex students. Additionally, Niantic Support clarified that it will be possible to change the email address once you connect a new one.
You can change email addresses. You just need to connect to a new email address then you can disconnect your old email.
— Niantic Support (@NianticHelp) March 16, 2018
Although we didn’t get a Deoxys raid, this is a big step forward for Pokémon GO. In fact, today in general was a big step forward for Pokémon GO. Here’s a short list of everything that happened today:
- Lugia raids return to Pokémon GO, starting on March 16 and last until April 2 2018
- Special Unown Event at SXSW 2018 announced
- New Round of EX Raid Passes: March 23/24
- A bizarre push notification observed by iOS trainers
- GO Hub updates their Lugia raid guide
- Niantic announces Facebook account linking