Evolution items, also known as evolutionary items, are used in Pokémon GO to evolve certain species of Pokémon. Pokémon requiring Evolution Items are not typically found in the wild, so Evolution Items are the only way to obtain many of these Pokémon.
Evolution items can be obtained via the 7 day streak, randomly from PokéStop spins, or from opening gifts sent by other Trainers. Drop rates for evolve items are fairly low (0.76% – 1%). However, Trainers can get 1 guaranteed, albeit random, Evolution Item by completing their “First PokéStop (or Gym) of the Day” 7 day streak.
List of Evolution items
There are several kinds of evolution items available in the game:
- Sun Stone: Evolves Gloom into Bellossom and Sunkern into Sunflora.
- King’s Rock: Evolves Poliwhirl into Politoed and Slowpoke into Slowking.
- Metal Coat: Evolves Onix into Steelix and Scyther into Scizor.
- Dragon Scale: Evolves Seadra into Kingdra.
- Upgrade: Evolves Porygon into Porygon2.
- Sinnoh Stone: Evolves various Gen 1-3 Pokémon into their Gen 4 evolutions. This includes Rhydon into Rhyperior, Electabuzz into Electivire, Magmar into Magmortar, among others.
- Unova Stone: Evolves certain Gen 5 Pokémon. Lampent to Chandelure, Pansear to Simisear, Pansage to Simisage, Panpour to Simipour, Minccino to Cinccino, and Eelektrik to Eelektross.
- Lure Modules (Glacial, Mossy, Magnetic): These are a little different from the other evolution items. They are modules that can be placed on PokéStops and they not only attract certain types of Pokémon for a period of time but also allow specific Pokémon to evolve when trainers are in the radius of the PokéStop. Glacial Lure allows Eevee to evolve into Glaceon, Mossy Lure allows Eevee to evolve into Leafeon, and the Magnetic Lure allows Magneton to evolve into Magnezone and Nosepass into Probopass
Please note that for evolving Pokémon with Evolution Items you also need a certain amount of Candy specific to the Pokémon you’re evolving.
Also, starting from 2020, some Pokémon like Slowpoke for Slowking and Poliwhirl for Politoed, also require the player to be ‘Best Buddies’ with the Pokémon, in addition to providing the King’s Rock.
|Sun Stone A peculiar stone that can make certain species of Pokémon evolve. It burns as red as the evening sun.
The following Pokémon require a Sun Stone to evolve:
|King’s Rock A rock that can make certain species of Pokémon evolve. It looks like a crown.
A King’s Rock is used to evolve to the following Pokémon:
|Metal Coat A coating that can make certain species of Pokémon evolve. It is a special metallic film.
A Metal Coat is used to evolve to the following Pokémon:
|Dragon Scale A scale that can make certain species of Pokémon evolve. It is very tough and inflexible.
A Dragon Scale is used to evolve to the following Pokémon:Kingdra
|Upgrade A transparent device that can make certain species of Pokémon evolve. It was produced by Silph Co.
An Upgrade is used to evolve to the following Pokémon:Porygon2
Sinnoh Stones are obtained via 7 day streaks, as PVP rewards and from defeating a Team GO Rocket leader.The Sinnoh Stone was introduced with the release of the Sinnoh region, Generation IV.
Rather than needing a variety of different evolution items as we had in previous generations, this time we only needed to obtain Sinnoh Stones to perform all item based evolutions in Gen IV.
For more information on Sinnoh Stones check out our Sinnoh Stone Guide.
The following Pokémon are evolved to using the Sinnoh Stone:
Currently the Unova Stone is the hardest of the Evolution Items to obtain. It is only available in 2 ways – either through completing 7 days of research as a reward for your weekly Research Breakthrough, or from defeating a Team GO Rocket Leader.
The Unova Stone was introduced with the release of Pokémon from Generation V. Much like the Sinnoh Stone, Pokémon from the Unova region only need this particular stone to evolve, rather than a variety of different stones.
Currently there are only 5 Pokémon that need a Unova Stone, but we expect this could increase as more Pokémon from the Unova region are released.
For more information on the Unova Stone check out our Unova Stone Guide.
The following Pokémon will need a Unova Stone to be evolved into:
Lure Modules (Glacial, Mossy, Magnetic)
Glacial Lure allows Eevee to evolve into Glaceon, Mossy Lure allows Eevee to evolve into Leafeon, and the Magnetic Lure allows Magneton to evolve into Magnezone and Nosepass into Probopass.