Pokémon GO December 2020 features Kyurem returning as a five-star raid boss, Darumaka and Lapras as Research Breakthrough encounters, five different Pokémon Spotlight encounters throughout the month, a new tagging feature in Pokémon GO and search bar improvements.
December Research Breakthrough encounter
From Tuesday, December 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, January 1, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), Trainers will have a chance of encountering either Lapras or Unovan Darumaka as a Research Breakthrough encounter and receive bonus XP.
Kyurem returns in December
The Legendary Pokémon Kyurem will be appearing in five-star raids from Tuesday, December 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Friday, January 1, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8). Don’t miss your chance to encounter the Boundary Pokémon!
Mega Abomasnow debuts in DecemberAbomasnow (Mega)
- Mega Abomasnow will be appearing in Mega Raids beginning Tuesday, December 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m PST (GMT −8).
- Mega Blastoise, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pidgeot, and Mega Houndoom will all be leaving Mega Raids.
- Mega Raids will be featuring Mega Charizard X, Mega Gengar and Mega Abomasnow.
December Pokémon Spotlight Hours
|December 1||Seel||2x Evolution XP|
|December 8||Swinub||2x Catch Stardust|
|December 15||Pikachu||2x Catch Candy
Adventure Hat Pikachu
|December 22||Snorunt||2x Transfer Candy|
|December 29||Snover||2x Evolution XP|
In the month of December, Pokémon Spotlight Hour will take place every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. local time, and each hour will spotlight a different Pokémon and special bonus!
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020: Seel will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for evolving Pokémon.
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020: Swinub will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
- Tuesday, December 15, 2020: Adventure Hat Pikachu will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for catching Pokémon.
- Tuesday, December 22, 2020: Snorunt will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for transferring Pokémon.
- Tuesday, December 29, 2020: Snover will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for evolving Pokémon.
Secrets of the Jungle Event
December brings another event to Pokémon GO: Secrets of the Jungle! Secrets of the Jungle Event brings Shiny Celebi, Shiny Rufflet, Explorer Pikachu, Jessie and James Return and much more.
You can get a guaranteed Shiny Celebi from picking up the Shiny Celebi Special Research Task: Distracted by Something Shiny.
Holidays 2020 Event
Pokémon GO Holidays Event is back! From December 22nd to December 31st, look forward to costumed Pokémon, an Ice-type Pokémon never before seen in Pokémon GO, event-exclusive Field Research, winter-themed avatar items, and a blizzard of bonuses.
More events and feature updates
Double Catch XP bonus ends Thursday, December 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. local time
As part of our huge GO Beyond update in December, we’ll be increasing the level cap to 50! To help Trainers level up during this time, a double Catch XP bonus has been live since Wednesday, November 18, 2020, at 1:00 p.m., and it’ll stay in effect until Thursday, December 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. local time.
Pokémon GO Tagging
Managing your Pokémon is about to become much easier with the introduction of Pokémon tagging and other general search updates. Pokémon tagging will allow you to create different colored tags, apply them to Pokémon, and use them to filter Pokémon in your collection. A redditor created a video showcasing the feature using the actual Pokémon GO app.
The Pokémon search function will also be updated to allow for enhanced usability. When you tap into the search bar, a new screen will appear with recommended search terms, such as Pokémon Type, Region, Buddy Level, Shiny, and more.
You can read everything about tagging here: Pokémon GO Tagging – how to use tags, tag ideas, tips and tricks